Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Bakery in "gay cake" wins Supreme Court Appeal.

Bakery in "gay cake" wins Supreme Court Appeal. 1 year 1 month ago #3083684

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 10083
  • Honor Medal 2010

Lexie78 wrote: Deeply held religious views and/ or deeply held political views? Are these the fundamentals of this case?
We seem to gloss over the " gay" issue. There are those for whom homosexuality offends a"deeply held religious view", but if this case is found on the " deeply held political views" and ignores the " deeply held religious views" then I am astonished, given the free ride that religious minority practices receive in UK as against observance of the established churches' traditions and insignia.
" Support Gay Marriage"? How about a bit of support for " Heterosexual Marriage" which seems to have become unfashionable if not even despised, even though it is the backbone of our civilisation!

Supporting gay marriage doesn't mean not supporting hetrosexual marriage.

Equal rights means all people are free to marry, or not, as they choose.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bakery in "gay cake" wins Supreme Court Appeal. 1 year 1 month ago #3083687

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote: As a result of this ruling, there are very likely to be further cases in which services are refused on the basis of beliefs held by the service providers.

Yes I understand the concern mentioned by Rain about this.

But in fact this was a very narrow ruling for a specific case - it does not change anti discrimination laws or mean people can now refuse to serve gay people ( or any other group of people) because they have a religious belief.

Whatever your religious belief, that does not give you the right to discriminate.

Bakery in "gay cake" wins Supreme Court Appeal. 1 year 1 month ago #3083690

• Rhett1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1665
  • Honor Medal 2010
JaneR, you have said all that’s needed to say,,it really is as simple as that. I totally agree with them. Civil partnership yes of course. Marriage is for man and woman. Anything goes today, and still they’re not happy.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dennis 2

Bakery in "gay cake" wins Supreme Court Appeal. 1 year 1 month ago #3083696

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
'They' are still not happy ????

Gay people are not one homogenous mass who all think the same.

And this issue isn't about gay marriage - that is already legal and this doesn't change that.

I see Rain's point - people thinking this opens the door for renewed discrimination against gay people.

Bakery in "gay cake" wins Supreme Court Appeal. 1 year 1 month ago #3083705

• Rhett1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1665
  • Honor Medal 2010
I’m not just talking about gay people when I say they are still not happy,and I know gay marriage is legal,why should it encourage abuse of gay people,who cares,I’m not gay,do you care about that? No, didn’t think you would.

Bakery in "gay cake" wins Supreme Court Appeal. 1 year 1 month ago #3083706

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
I don't care what your sexuality is. Why would I?

Who do you mean by 'they' in your post then ??

Why should it ( this ruling) encourage abuse of gay people??

Well, it shouldn't, obviously. But I can see Rains concern that it will - already in the thread we are getting ' I can refuse service to whoever I like ' type comments ( no, you can't) and 'gay marriage shouldn't be legal anyway' type comments ( that wasn't what the ruling was about) and where is support for hetrosexual marriage comment ( as if one conflicts with the other - it doesn't)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira

Bakery in "gay cake" wins Supreme Court Appeal. 1 year 1 month ago #3083714

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8665
  • Honor Medal 2010

Rhett1 wrote: I’m not just talking about gay people when I say they are still not happy,and I know gay marriage is legal,why should it encourage abuse of gay people,who cares,I’m not gay,do you care about that? No, didn’t think you would.

Actually, gay marriage is not legal in Northern Ireland, where this incident took place.
If gay couples in Northern Ireland enjoyed the same equal rights as elsewhere in UK, there would be no need to campaign for them.

However, that is irrelevant to the case under discussion - and posters views on what they think of gay marriage are irrelevant too - in terms of this thread, who cares what you think about it? - this Appeal was a case about the impartial application of existing laws on discrimination - not a judgement about gay marriage.
Whether one agrees or disagrees with gay marriage, it should have no bearing on the legal position of whether the bakery's actions were discriminatory or not.
The following user(s) said Well Said: pascalou, Pats, Vegemite Kid

Step by step, one goes a long way.

Bakery in "gay cake" wins Supreme Court Appeal. 1 year 1 month ago #3083716

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 9869
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote: But I can see Rains concern that it will - already in the thread we are getting ' I can refuse service to whoever I like ' type comments ( no, you can't) and 'gay marriage shouldn't be legal anyway' type comments ( that wasn't what the ruling was about) and where is support for hetrosexual marriage comment ( as if one conflicts with the other - it doesn't)

I agree with this.......what a sad state of affairs, negativity abounds to suit agenda..:(
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira

Happy to help.
Last edit: by Pats.

Bakery in "gay cake" wins Supreme Court Appeal. 1 year 1 month ago #3083768

• senile1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

photogeek wrote:

senile1 wrote: It opens the door to refusal of anybody purely for ideological / philosophical reasons B) As I have said many times on when this subject has come up, you're in business to make money, and whom so ever shall seek your services, you are obliged to provide the very best service possible, or you should get out of business B) I am not interested in doing business with anyone who discriminates against others B)

...but in you refusing to do business with such a person, are you yourself then not discriminating?

Because I refuse to do business with those whom discriminate against others, it shows I do not support their warped sense of justice . B) Why should I support those in the wrong ??? People in business , who discriminate, are in business to serve those of a like mind, serve them, I can do business elsewhere, even if it costs more B) More people, who believe in equality and justice, should do likewise B)

Bakery in "gay cake" wins Supreme Court Appeal. 1 year 1 month ago #3083772

• senile1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Rhett1 wrote: JaneR, you have said all that’s needed to say,,it really is as simple as that. I totally agree with them. Civil partnership yes of course. Marriage is for man and woman. Anything goes today, and still they’re not happy.

…… and how can you / anyone determine "gays are not happy" ???

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds