Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Post General election, Brexit and beyond.

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 2 weeks ago #3150155

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2434
  • Honor Medal 2010

grahamg wrote: I have bought copies of both "The Times", and the "I" newspaper today, and will try to read them later.

The headline in the "I" says an extension to the date the UK leaves, or article 50, may be sought whether or not the Prime Ministers deal get voted through the commons next week.

Possibly just speculation, and they are not pretending its official so no need for anyone to think they're doing anything wrong here.

Graham, I too would be interested to learn any inside knowledge regarding newspapers and I hope that Taner would be kind enough to start a thread about it, think it would be very interesting. That's the good thing about Buzz we can all share information and learn from each other.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy, Jane R

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 2 weeks ago #3150185

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Obtained from: www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/20...government-news.html

As the ‘meaningful vote’ approaches, apply buckets of salt to all Government news

The healthy follower of political news is an autocondimentor, taking everything with at least a sprinkling of salt. That habit ought to intensify as controversial votes grow near – and some of this weekend’s headlines require not just fistfuls but barrels of the stuff.

The game underway is the latter stages of an ongoing attempt to bounce opponents of the Prime Minister’s proposed EU deal into supporting it. The particular focus, as displayed by Jeremy Hunt yesterday, is on trying to persuade Leavers that the alternative to the deal is no Brexit rather than No Deal.

If the dubious quality of the arguments being mounted is an indicator of the Government’s desperation, then the Whips appear very worried indeed.

Take for example the exclusive revelation, helpfully presented by George Osborne’s Evening Standard, that:

‘Brexit looks increasingly likely to be delayed beyond the scheduled exit of March 29, Cabinet ministers today revealed to the Standard. A backlog of at least six essential Bills that must be passed before Britain leaves the European Union has left ministers convinced the timetable will be extended…A senior minister said: “The legislative timetable is now very very tight indeed. Certainly, if there was defeat on Tuesday and it took some time before it got resolved, it’s hard to see how we can get all the legislation through by March 29.”’

In other words, trust us to negotiate and implement a bad deal, or our failure to competently manage the legislation will prevent Brexit. Not a very enticing or inspiring message in itself, but also a rather bogus one.

As our very own Henry Hill laid out on Wednesday, the Government’s legislative planning has been careful and detailed, precisely in order to restrict the risk of necessary laws not being in place in time for Brexit Day.

This isn’t the weirdest outcome of the politics of Brexit, but it is odd to see Ministers talking down their own ability to manage Government business, all in order to try to encourage MPs to place more faith in the capacity of the same Government to negotiate and deliver the Withdrawal Agreement. “Trust us, or we will cock it all up” is quite the slogan.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy, Jane R

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 2 weeks ago #3150203

• Davegem
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Taner wrote: Oh dear, I do seem to have hit a raw nerve. And I was only referring to the fact that they were the most-used papers for quotes, not that they hadn't been read. But well done to Topsy for knowing that it used to be the Manchester Guardian.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :P

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 2 weeks ago #3150217

• Topsy
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5002
  • Honor Medal 2010

Topsy wrote:

Taner wrote: Oh dear, I do seem to have hit a raw nerve. And I was only referring to the fact that they were the most-used papers for quotes, not that they hadn't been read. But well done to Topsy for knowing that it used to be the Manchester Guardian.

Oh crickey Taner what on earth makes you think you have hit a raw nerve , that is what dentists do [ you are not a secret dentist are you ?]
No actually I felt you were rather scathing towards Wendeey, I should think they probably are the most used papers for quotes [not that I read them myself ]
Good for you working in.Fleet Street for the last 40 years[not for the same group]but heyho , will overlook that.
I used to work for Lloyds of London , great times.You know, the building with fabulous glasswork , admired all over the world.
However you haven"t answered my question about which you think is an honest Publication .

You really should say which is an honest publication Taner , I am just dying to know . My breath is bated .
smile
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 2 weeks ago #3150227

• Taner
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 234
  • Honor Medal 2010
Guardian, Independent and i Topsy - not that you will agree with anything I say.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Miesque, Davegem

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 2 weeks ago #3150248

• Topsy
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5002
  • Honor Medal 2010

Taner wrote: Guardian, Independent and i Topsy - not that you will agree with anything I say.

Stuff and nonsense Taner , I may agree with things you say , one never knows does one ? Largely depends on what you say !
B) B) B)
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 2 weeks ago #3150293

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Taner wrote: Guardian, Independent and i Topsy - not that you will agree with anything I say.

You'll trust the posts that I've posted from Larry Elliott then and other posts I've posted from the Guardian.

You say you don't trust the Express, but the above Express article is just stating a fact and the reason for my posting it was on numerous occasions on here Leavers have proclaimed that youngsters want to Remain. I've pointed out, that I don't know of one youngster who wants to Remain and in fact a couple of months ago I asked an 18 year old what he thought and he said that he was too young to vote in the referendum, but if there was another one, he'd vote to leave and his friends who were old enough to vote voted to Remain, but if there was another referendum they'd now vote to Leave as they've seen what the EU are like.

And what was wrong with my quote from the Daily Mail Ministers announced they were reopening the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme (SAWS), axed in 2013, which let foreign workers take short-term jobs picking fruit and vegetables.. If you think they are telling lies, then please do inform us.

And from the Sun they quoted what the boss of the Port of Calais had quoted. Again instead of just dismissing the publication from a biased perspective please state what you say is wrong with their article. As I've said on numerous occasions, I like to hear both sides of a debate, so if you know something that I don't please point me in the direction.

When I read through articles, (ok not the comments columns on the Mail, Express and Sun) I read the comments section as there's always somebody who will pick up on something that is wrong about it, so get a balanced view.

I like listening to and watching debates so I get both sides of the story.

I've had a glance through inews and to tell you the truth can't see anything on there that has anything different to the other papers, but if you do see something when browsing, would be obliged of your posting it in case it is something I haven't heard of.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 2 weeks ago #3150315

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Taner wrote: and the DM is still pro-Brexit, but not as strongly as it was.

And as I said, The Daily Mail is now in support of Theresa May's deal:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6583053...exit-deal-GROWN.html

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-65835...ls-Brexit-peril.html

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 2 weeks ago #3150320

• Taner
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 234
  • Honor Medal 2010
Of course all papers print factual articles occasionally. But those I object to are the ones who write columns putting their own slant on the news and using derogatory language about the people they are opposing. Also, those papers never fail to use any chance to disrespect those they disagree with. All those things are the reasons I dislike and distrust them to write the truth.

Also, I know you occasionally use excerpts from papers I like, but very seldom.

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 2 weeks ago #3150345

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Taner wrote: Of course all papers print factual articles occasionally. But those I object to are the ones who write columns putting their own slant on the news and using derogatory language about the people they are opposing. Also, those papers never fail to use any chance to disrespect those they disagree with. All those things are the reasons I dislike and distrust them to write the truth.

Also, I know you occasionally use excerpts from papers I like, but very seldom.

Taner I hope we can shake hands on this then as I too don't read the papers opinion articles, for the same reasons you state and as I say, I read a variety of newspapers as some don't report on the same articles.

My preferred paper is the Telegraph, but unfortunately now you have to pay to read. And I agree with your statement, using derogatory language about the people they are opposing as I too abhor this either within papers or on this thread by posters. Stick to the subject I say.

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds