Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Brexit, the General election and beyond.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 10 months 1 week ago #3146934

• Topsy
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4680
  • Honor Medal 2010

Jane R wrote: Surely heckling politicians is a time honoured tradition in this country - we used to throw eggs at them too.
Typical that someone like Soubry who has been rabidly vocal in her determination, to block and ignore by any means, the referendum result and has herself used belittling language towards Brexit voters, should cry foul now and demand the police do something about it. Hypocrite.

So true , Pot and Kettle to my mind.
As Capt.Mainwaring used to say "They don"t like it up "em "
:cheer: :cheer:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 10 months 1 week ago #3146950

• Lexie78
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1226
  • Honor Medal 2010
Seems to me that the " far left" is just as bad as the " far right" ( see assault on leader of Auf fur Deutschland ).
Surely we need a " militant middle" party with some backbone, principle and vision, rather than the soppy, compromise dross we have at the moment?

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 10 months 1 week ago #3146959

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8616
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'm not sure if this is correct because I don't live in London but I have been told there has been two opposing protest groups around Westminster for some months now - (one pro-Brexit and one Anti-Brexit) but they caused no real problems until this Yellow Vests UK lot joined in.

From the video clips I've seen of this group calling themselves "Yellow Vests UK", they do a bit more than heckling - they look quite intimidating - a few of them were arrested recently for public order offences when throwing smoke bombs on Westminster Bridge.

That James Goddard chap seems Hell bent on getting his 15 minutes of glory - he's the chap who said every Muslim in U.K. should be deported - I saw a video clip of him shouting and cursing a policeman, telling him the police were "fair game" and he'd give them a war every Saturday and also verbally abusing the officer, saying he "wasn't even British" - what a Prat, he's lucky not to have been arrested.
I haven't seen him do anything physically violent but his body language and speech is very intimidating - I've seen idiots get arrested for less provocative behaviour towards Police Officers after a Saturday night out. I think maybe he is hoping to get arrested, so he can do a bit of "Tommy-Type" martyrdom.

I feel really sorry for the Police, they have to police peaceful protests in an even handed way, without showing political favour, but also keep the public safe from the aggressive, intimidating, violent and criminal behaviour of thugs and individual extremists within any protest group.
The following user(s) said Well Said: kedro, cestrian, pascalou, Aida

Step by step, one goes a long way.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 10 months 1 week ago #3146969

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2155
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: Yes, harassment of Mr Rees Mogg and Mr Farage was also mentioned on the show.
Quite right too. I don't condone such behaviour no matter who it is aimed at. Please note that I did not name any of the victims: Topsy named Ms Soubury, I quoted Topsy.

Yes and in reply you stated: Thinly disguised condoning of threatening comments by far right groups towards MPs has just been discussed at length on Politics Live

Which appeared one sided to me as you mentioned Politics Live and they covered both sides, but you failed to mention it. I do agree with your comments above though and think that name calling of politicians of whatever hue is disgraceful in any form even on these forums, which happens quite a lot and can't see the difference whether it be to their face or on forums.

Discuss the policies yes, but there's no need for name calling and both Nigel Farage and Jacob Rees Mogg have come under a lot of stick on this site. Not that I read them, but I get the impression that Trump does too.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy, Jane R

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 10 months 1 week ago #3146976

• Jane R
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5350
  • Honor Medal 2010
Soubry is the one who said that Brexiteers in the Tory party were 'extremists' and should be 'booted out'. Let us not forgot also the charming comment she made about Nigel Farage - something to do with 'fingers up his bottom and quite enjoying it'. You reap what you sow.
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey, Topsy

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 10 months 1 week ago #3146977

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2155
  • Honor Medal 2010

Eira wrote: I'm not sure if this is correct because I don't live in London but I have been told there has been two opposing protest groups around Westminster for some months now - (one pro-Brexit and one Anti-Brexit) but they caused no real problems until this Yellow Vests UK lot joined in.

From the video clips I've seen of this group calling themselves "Yellow Vests UK", they do a bit more than heckling - they look quite intimidating - a few of them were arrested recently for public order offences when throwing smoke bombs on Westminster Bridge.

That James Goddard chap seems Hell bent on getting his 15 minutes of glory - he's the chap who said every Muslim in U.K. should be deported - I saw a video clip of him shouting and cursing a policeman, telling him the police were "fair game" and he'd give them a war every Saturday and also verbally abusing the officer, saying he "wasn't even British" - what a Prat, he's lucky not to have been arrested.
I haven't seen him do anything physically violent but his body language and speech is very intimidating - I've seen idiots get arrested for less provocative behaviour towards Police Officers after a Saturday night out. I think maybe he is hoping to get arrested, so he can do a bit of "Tommy-Type" martyrdom.

I feel really sorry for the Police, they have to police peaceful protests in an even handed way, without showing political favour, but also keep the public safe from the aggressive, intimidating, violent and criminal behaviour of thugs and individual extremists within any protest group.

Eira I watch Sky mainly their Politics Live in the morning and ever since the referendum all I've seen is the EU flags being flown and one always trying to disrupt the interviews. It's only been in the last couple of weeks that I've seen Brexit supporters.

On Politics Live this morning they said the guy you were talking about was vocal in the Free Tommy Robinson demonstration and he films himself and has got many different names on social media a right trouble maker by all accounts.

Not sure how true it is, but on LBC last night a woman called in to say that at one demonstration she attended supporting Brexit the police pulled a 13 year old girls hair, I think I do recall seeing an article on this, but didn't read it.

I think it's all disgraceful and no need for any of it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 10 months 1 week ago #3147016

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8006
  • Honor Medal 2010
Shocking, the whole caboodle !
It will solve nothing. How sad it's come to this.

A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 10 months 1 week ago #3147062

• Topsy
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4680
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: Shocking, the whole caboodle !
It will solve nothing. How sad it's come to this.

I agree 100% , if only the remainers had accepted the decision .:(
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey, Aida

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 10 months 1 week ago #3147075

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8006
  • Honor Medal 2010
Topsy : Many did, they may not have liked it but they accepted it. However, when more and more negative information came to light leavers and remainers began to waver. Negotiations have been painfully slow, business says we must have a deal to preserve jobs, the Governor of The Bank of England warns against No Deal while on the other hand some MPs are advocating walk away. Now it seems there is plotting on both sides of the house to stop a No Deal situation. Stick the Irish border into the mix and we have this awful mess.
If we had been able to leave straight after the referendum result maybe even the most sceptical remainers would have just 'got on with it' - but anyone with any knowledge of the situation knew that was not possible. Our grandchildren will most likely negotiate to get us back in again at some time in the future ! Just as oldies look to the 'glorious past' so will the young. That is how the pendulum of history swings.
I put it to you, if the vote had gone the other way, would leavers have accepted the result ?
The country is divided, even HM the Queen alluded to that in her speech, lots of ordinary people are just
plain sick of it while others are worried sick about it.

A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.
Last edit: by Aida.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 10 months 1 week ago #3147080

• Lexie78
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1226
  • Honor Medal 2010
It is in the very nature of a referendum....division! Ask the SNP if they accepted the Scottish referendum result?
Ponder this please....if you saw your son (18+) getting into trouble, you can see where his trouble lies, but he cannot or will not see it for himself....do you just accept it and wait for the ominous knock on the door? ...or do you repeat your advice to him, time and time again, in the hope that he might wake up and "smell the coffee"?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, Aida, Taner

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds