Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Brexit:

Brexit: 5 months 2 weeks ago #3148788

• Annnie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5857
  • Honor Medal 2010
Would that situation mean there would be a glut of pickers in other countries, or might our own pickers stay closer to home to make up the shortfall, or indeed are we just not a nation of pickers whatever the location?

On the other hand are we going to ban European pickers? :ohmy: I thought £7 was a reasonable price for a visa myself. ....and I expect it works both ways.
I don't think it will be all doom and gloom. The world will still go round and I hope young people who pick e.g. students looking for Summer work, will be pleasantly surprised to find they can still visit each other's countries to do it whatever the Brexit outcome.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, wendeey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Annnie.

Brexit: 5 months 2 weeks ago #3148823

• Lexie78
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 983
  • Honor Medal 2010
Been thinking,....there will be a General Election. Most likely sometime after March 29.
I wonder how that will pan out, given all this Brexit stuff?
Seems to me that most if not all Brexiteers are "Tories "?
If Brexit is "fudged", I imagine that all Brexiteers will desert...leaving the door open to J Corbyn?
Again I wonder, which is worse, No Brexit or J Corbyn?

Brexit: 5 months 2 weeks ago #3148824

• Davegem
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Well said received: 2577
  • Honor Medal 2010

Lexie78 wrote: Been thinking,....there will be a General Election. Most likely sometime after March 29.
If Brexit is "fudged", I imagine that all Brexiteers will desert...leaving the door open to J Corbyn?

What do you find so unappealing about Corbyn? The country seems to be falling apart, how will he make it worse?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Taner

Brexit: 5 months 2 weeks ago #3148935

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1213
  • Honor Medal 2010

Lexie78 wrote: Been thinking,....there will be a General Election. Most likely sometime after March 29.

I think you may be wrong to suggest labour voters did not choose to leave the EU, as a fairly high proportion did do so in many constituencies.

An election may well be on the cards at any moment, or after some kind of steps are taken in parliament, such as an extension to article 50 should one be agreed by all member states.

Brexit: 5 months 2 weeks ago #3149073

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1467
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote:

wendeey wrote:

Davegem wrote: I'm past caring as to what happens, despite the uncertainty I find myself in, I'll go with the flow.
I just feel the rabid brexiteers on this thread ignore everything that might cast doubt on their views.
Once people become so convinced only their view is the right view, communication and dialogue become pointless.

lol at rabid brexiteers, you mean as opposed to rabid remainers lol

And I haven't heard anything from a remainer on this thread to cast doubt on my views. Although I have said on several occasions if you can convince me that my views are wrong, I'm willing to change them.

And you stated that I'm in support of a no deal. If you recall ages ago before Mrs May's deal was announced, I said I wanted a deal, but I definitely don't want Theresa May's deal, so that is what has changed.

Our views won't matter in the end. There will almost certainly be some sort of a deal.

Aida exactly, even if we go out on a no deal (well world deal actually) we'll have a deal with the EU and as somebody said on sky this morning, I wouldn't be surprised if this work has already started.

People keep talking as if the Withdrawal Agreement to be voted on on Tuesday is the end of it. When in fact it is the start of it, we haven't even started discussing the Trading relationship yet, which is the most important part of it and is 'the deal'.

As Mykle stated above people have discussed the Norway option. I wouldn't be adverse to this as we won't be tied in and can leave after a year, which is a better option than the Withdrawal Agreement.

Brexit: 5 months 2 weeks ago #3149077

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Lexie both Tory and Labour voters are split. That's what Labour are worried about as majority of Labour MPs are remainers, but their voters are Brexiteers. It was the Labour heartlands that won the vote.

Corbyn is at heart a Brexiteer. And there's talk that if there was a General Election his manifesto would be on leaving. His dream is to renationalise the railways and if we're still under the EU this would be impossible.

Think Labour members, Momentum and the Unions are for remaining, but majority of the actual voters are for leaving.

In contrast majority of Tory members are for leaving and the voters are as divided as the labour voters.

Brexit: 5 months 2 weeks ago #3149080

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: The fruit and veg farmers that live around here are concerned because they fear there will be a shortage of pickers, and yes, I've heard it all before that housewives and students will do it as in days of yore, but they won't, certainly not the housewives.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6136987...rms-post-Brexit.html

Ministers announced they were reopening the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme (SAWS), axed in 2013, which let foreign workers take short-term jobs picking fruit and vegetables.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annnie

Brexit: 5 months 2 weeks ago #3149099

• Popeye
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 366
  • Honor Medal 2010

Davegem wrote:

wendeey wrote: Obtained from: www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/8155755/cal...es-a-no-deal-brexit/

NO Deal Brexit will NOT cause extra delays at Calais, the port's boss declared today.

In a win for Brexiteers saying leaving with no agreement would be just fine, Jean-Marc Puissesseau said that Calais had been preparing for Brexit for a year and would be ready to cope no matter what happens.

It had been feared that a No Deal Brexit would see huge queues and delays on either side of the border.

Earlier this week lorries did a test run of routes they might need to use if that happened.

But speaking to the BBC this morning he vowed: "We are preparing for no deal since one year in Calais and on March 29 we will be ready.

"When Mr Grayling came to Calais, we told him that we will be ready."

He vowed that France would not check the trucks which pass through more than they do today, but will wand to see their customs paperwork too.

Delays of just 70 seconds per truck could see huge tailbacks along roads across the country, it was revealed earlier this week in a leaked report.

"We will not check the trucks more than we are doing today, with the migrants," Mr Puissesseau said.

"We will only be asking of the drivers that they have their customs declarations, but we will not stop or ask more than we are doing today. It is very clear."

And I heard a spokesman for PO regarding Dover that they're not worried either. He said all the claims about 10,000 lorries going through daily doesn't explain that it's 5,000 either way and they're distributed throughout the day and the trial was successful.

Breaking news, in the Telegraph today Slovakia is being allowed to give Jaguar Land Rover £110 Million in state aid as a sweetener for moving from one EU Country to another.
It is allowed to offer the money under EU Rules which Britain, as a member state, could not object to.

So JLR is being given our money, by the EU, on the basis that they are moving jobs from a wealthy area (West Midlands/UK!) to a poorer area (W Slovakia).

Oh, aren't JLR using Brexit, as an excuse for their failure, rather than their own management?

They appear to have been failing before Brexit ever saw the light of day.
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey, Topsy

Popeye
Last edit: by pascalou. Reason: edited part which answered a deleted quote as context is gone

Brexit: 5 months 2 weeks ago #3149271

• pascalou
  • Well said received: 9312
  • Honor Medal 2010
Some posts have been deleted .
Can we please address the topic without getting personal?
Here is a reminder of the forum rules.

3. Please remember to address the topic not the poster, as deliberate attacks on other Buzzers may lead to a suspension of membership;

5. No individuals should be identified in such a way as to cause upset or concern.

Pascalou

Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
Last edit: by pascalou.

Brexit: 5 months 2 weeks ago #3149350

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Obtained from: www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1070513/Brexit...w-inbetweeners-Leave

A BREXIT debate with young British voters on Channel 4 News backfired on host Jon Snow when he appeared surprised at the realisation "an interesting number" of his audience was made out of Brexit supporters.

The Channel 4 News host appeared surprised during the Brexit Inbetweeners debate in Leeds when he realised the room was filled with a high number of Brexit supporters. The debate was organised to give voice to 18 to 20 years old who did not have a vote in the 2016 Referendum on the basis 16-years-olds should be given the right to vote in the UK. But viewers claimed the show "backfired" on the news host when many of the young participants expressed their views in favour of leaving the EU and against a second referendum.

After a quick rise of hands showing how the young voters stood on Brexit, Jon Snow said: “Okay, okay. Well, there’s an interesting number of Leavers.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy, Jane R

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds