Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Post General election, Brexit and beyond.

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 3 weeks ago #3144465

• Topsy
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5002
  • Honor Medal 2010
Now why doesn"t that surprise me Wendeey, These fat cats of the EU, greedy beyond belief .specially that distasteful man Juncker :huh: wink.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mykle

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle
Last edit: by Topsy.

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 3 weeks ago #3144466

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2434
  • Honor Medal 2010
Obtained from: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6544031...rtford-Crossing.html

Foreign lorry drivers have failed to pay almost £1million in charges to cross the Dartford Crossing in the past year.

Some 154,502 foreign-registered trucks failed to pay the £6 charge in 2018, giving a total figure of £927,012, according to a Freedom of Information request.

The figures left crosing users and local councillors furious - with one motorist joking that he should just buy a car with foreign numberplates to get away with not paying.

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 3 weeks ago #3144467

• Topsy
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5002
  • Honor Medal 2010
I always thought that happen, I go to Gatwick to fly off on a holiday . Used to pay at desk which was fair no-one could escape paying . Now just phone through and register . Stands to sense if they can get away with they will. Another ill thought out scheme by this inept government , led by The Appeaser.
:(

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle
Last edit: by Topsy.

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 3 weeks ago #3144658

• Robin
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1204
  • Honor Medal 2010

shrubby wrote: Robin wrote:

"if" England needs to start making trade agreements with other countries because England is not a self sufficient country so their going to have beg third world countries "if"

Having lived in England all my life I have seen many changes but the above statement made by someone who doesn't live in the U K is so far from true it's a joke. Of course as an Island we have always traded World Wide with countries keen to accept the financial gains to their economy and even during W W 2 we still carried on trading under difficult circumstances with Australia America Canada South America New Zealand South Africa and others as well as carrying out the North Atlantic runs to feed and supply other countries.deeply involved in War. We had the benefit of America's Lease Lend programme to help financially but that was paid back in full with interest in 2006. I have no doubt that the U K will manage quite well as an independent Nation once again and apart from feeding the British residents during those hard times we also helped to rebuild countries in Europe which some seem to have forgotten

Please, Please, Please I want to reply to this and everything thing that is mentioned above, I have to get permission or I will be booted if I don't get permission first please, please, please. before during and after is my biggest intrest

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 3 weeks ago #3145346

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2434
  • Honor Medal 2010
Obtained from: euobserver.com/uk-referendum/143815

Dublin will seek hundreds of millions of euros in emergency aid from Brussels if the UK crashes out of the EU in March without a deal, the Irish Independent reported on Thursday (3 January).

Irish officials have told the EU Commission that Ireland will be lobbying for aid to cope with the fallout to Irish trade, particularly in the beef, dairy and fishing sectors, the paper said.

If a no-deal Brexit happens, Ireland will be making the case for a major aid injection, agriculture minister Michael Creed told the Irish Independent.

"You're looking at hundreds of millions here. Between the beef industry and the fishing industry we're talking mega-money," he said.

Last year former WTO director general and EU trade commissioner, Pascal Lamy warned that Ireland may need emergency aid in the event of a no deal.

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 3 weeks ago #3145866

• altshovel
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1898
  • Honor Medal 2010
www.nakedcapitalism.com/2019/01/brexit-c...8naked+capitalism%29
This is a Financial/Politics blog based in the US and there are UK & Irish members. I look at it most every day. Yves has made a long string of posts about Brexit and asks for commentary from UK & Irish members.

Brexit: Circling the Drain
Posted on January 3, 2019 by Yves Smith

Even though there are unlikely to be any significant Brexit developments prior to Parliament’s “meaningful vote” on May’s Brexit deal the week of January 14 (and even what happens then will probably be a lot of noise as opposed to signal), we thought we’d do some catch-up, in part to let our plugged-in UK and Ireland readers supply their usual informative and sometimes amusing intelligence.

The high level overview is that the UK leadership classes and the press continue to be disengaged from reality even as the Brexit clock keeps ticking. Can I get some of whatever they are smoking?

Theresa May keeps up her Groundhog Day routine. If you follow the Brexit beat, you would have caught that Jean-Claude Juncker chewed the UK, meaning Theresa May, out over “not having its act together” late last week. Recall that at the December EU summit, Theresa May made yet another personal appeal to EU leaders, this time for legally binding assurances regarding the Irish border backstop. The problem is that what May wanted amounted to a renegotiation of terms, such as saying the backstop would only be temporary. For that to be valid, there would need to be a sunset date, which would create the possibility that the backstop would end before a new EU-UK deal was in place, leading to the hard border that the EU (and supposedly the UK) have deemed to be non-starters.

EU leaders had said when they approved the draft Withdrawal Agreement in November that there would be no more negotiations. Donald Tusk reaffirmed that on December 10:

Twitter link;
Donald Tusk

Yet when Theresa May came to the EU summit in December, she succeeded at the only thing she seems good at, which is alienating EU leaders. The EU had made clear it was willing to give not-legally-binding side statements that it was willing to spin in the manner that would be most helpful to Theresa May, such as saying they wanted the backstop only to be temporary and were as eager as the UK to conclude a trade agreement (which would put an end to the backstop). But to the frustration of EU state heads, May didn’t ask for what was on offer, nor did she make a clear request for anything else.

What May appeared to have communicated was that the UK was still not engaging with the reality that Brexit was looming. Their response was to send the Withdrawal Agreement out for approval by national parliaments (yet more confirmation, as if it were needed, that negotiations were over) and stepping up their Brexit planning.

That is a long-winded way of demonstrating that Juncker’s remark was simply a blunt summary of the state of play, as well as a reminder that May was still not taking the EU up on its willingness to try to improve the optics. Instead, has kept asking for what she should understand that she won’t get, as one can infer from the Sun’s account over the weekend:

His broadside came as it also emerged last night that two weeks of talks to try to improve Theresa May’s Brexit deal have failed to produce a breakthrough.
The PM has just nine days to go to win enough concessions on the hated Irish backstop to persuade Tory MPs to back her when the Commons debates it again.

Help me. Juncker is no Barnier, and one can wonder whether his slap at May was another demonstration of his propensity to go off the rails (this time after considerable provocation), or a deliberate display of venom:

In an interview with German newspaper Die Welt, he said: “It is not us who are leaving the United Kingdom – it is the United Kingdom that is leaving the European Union.
“I find it entirely unreasonable for parts of the British public to believe that it is for the EU alone to propose a solution for all future British problems.
“My appeal is this: get your act together and then tell us what it is you want. Our proposed solutions have been on the table for months.”

Hit the link to see the rest.

PS One comment, there are plenty more;
The Rev Kev
January 3, 2019 at 5:09 am
I think that the most ominous part of this article is where it is mentions that the Government gave a £13.8m (US $17.4) contract for ferry services between Ramsgate and Ostend in Belgium but that this company has no ships or any experience whatsoever in running a Channel service. In fact, it only came into existence about two years ago well after the Brexit referendum. A quick check shows that this company was awarded the contract without prior publication of a call for competition because of the “extreme urgency brought about by events unforeseeable for the contracting authority” ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaborne_Freight ). Yeah, right! With 85 days left until Brexit, the Government has to really start getting its ducks lined up and making some tough calls. It may not be so but decisions like this make you wonder if this is a case of mates being taken care of by someone in Government and that this will be the trend after Brexit kicks in.

The former Luxembourg PM added: “I have the impression that the majority of British MPs deeply distrust both the EU and Mrs May.”

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 3 weeks ago #3146616

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8517
  • Honor Medal 2010
Wouldn't it be great if as a result of this Brexit fiasco a new centre party was formed in the UK ?
The people are disillusioned with the two main political parties. This is a heaven sent opportunity for a fresh approach to politics.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira

In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning.
Last edit: by Aida.

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 3 weeks ago #3146619

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 9170
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: Wouldn't it be great if as a result of this Brexit fiasco a new centre party was formed in the UK ?
The people are disillusioned with the two main political parties. This is a heaven sent opportunity for a fresh approach to politics.

If only, Aida - but I feel I have more chance of finding an oasis in the desert - I won't hold my breath!

Step by step, one goes a long way.

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 3 weeks ago #3146631

• Lexie78
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1266
  • Honor Medal 2010
Just watched " Brexit, an uncivil war" on ITV. Very interesting...was a bit like Remain fight back propaganda? Also resignation to the fact that the mould is broken and uncontrollable political forces are on the loose through the use of social media.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mykle

Post General election, Brexit and beyond. 1 year 3 weeks ago #3146681

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1897
  • Honor Medal 2010

Eira wrote:

Aida wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if as a result of this Brexit fiasco a new centre party was formed in the UK ?

Eiira wrote
If only, Aida - but I feel I have more chance of finding an oasis in the desert - I won't hold my breath!

Be careful what you wish for would be my advice.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds