Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Brexit:

Brexit: 5 days 14 hours ago #3126773

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7820
  • Honor Medal 2010

Davegem wrote: Suddenly Mrs May is to blame for everything.
How sad at this pivotal moment in time some can contribute nothing more than to blame.

It's not the fact that someone is disagreeing with the PM or blaming her for specific things that bothers me, that's par for the course in politics and, in the course of this thread, I have seen some interesting challenges made in an intelligent manner, with reasoned arguments to back up their point of view. It's when the level of debate is reduced to gratuitous name-calling and insults of a politician you "don't like" or "don't agree with", I find it rather sad, especially when folk are lolling and back slapping each other for coming up with ever more juvenile insults; that really is the lowest level of debate.
The following user(s) said Well Said: kedro, Aida, RosieLeah, Davegem

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Last Edit: by Eira.

Brexit: 5 days 13 hours ago #3126817

• Toffee
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2585
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'm sure she has worked hard but who is the leader and where does the Buck stop, i remember people blaming Blair for his mistakes, it's the Nature of the Job I'm afraid
Politics as always been satirical, it's the only way the public stay sain, much less damage done than what the French do too. ... Funny calling posters Juvenile is not an insult?? Tut tut ..
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey, Topsy

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Nothing But the Best is Good Enough
Last Edit: by Toffee.

Brexit: 5 days 12 hours ago #3126881

• wendeey
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 248
  • Honor Medal 2010
I’m keeping my views on Theresa May open at the moment.

She chose to be PM, nobody made her it was completely her choice and remember what she promised the JAMs?

She knew the result of the referendum and promised to see it through, she knew it wasn’t going to be easy to negotiate, she even talked tough in the beginning.

All through the process if it was getting too much for her, she had the option to step aside and let somebody else takeover.

She had a majority, but decided to increase it by holding an election which she should have won by a landslide but lost seats. This loss was purely down to her and she's admitted it.

She did a deal with the DUP to keep her in power. She’s let the DUP down badly and even went back on one of her promises regarding the backstop.

She included the problematic backstop in the Withdrawal Agreement without the knowledge of her Cabinet and was expecting Dominic Raab to go to the EU to get it signed.

In her manifesto she promised us we would leave the EU completely (this still could be done)

She made a spectacular Lancaster House speech (this could still be done).

She still could be the best Prime Minister we’ve ever had if she sticks to her ‘No Deal is Better than a Bad Deal’
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy, Jane R

Brexit: 5 days 12 hours ago #3126884

• Mykle
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 103
  • Honor Medal 2010

Topsy wrote:

Biddy wrote: What was the point in having 'Brexit ministers' they were never allowed to be present in the negotiations
and when Davis did try on his own to get somewhere, she ignored it

As she does all the time , the woman is a clown , & she is in charge [for time being ] I reckon her days are numbered TBH.

not a chance , she is there for years yet, for one thing there is nobody to replace her, and heaven help the U K if labour got in

Brexit: 5 days 12 hours ago #3126891

• Topsy
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3089
  • Honor Medal 2010
What an excellent post Wendeey .smile.png smile.png

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle

Brexit: 5 days 10 hours ago #3126963

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7820
  • Honor Medal 2010

Toffee wrote: Funny calling posters Juvenile is not an insult?? Tut tut ..

I think calling another poster Juvenile would not be acceptable - and would be an ad hominem attack, against the site rules. The Golden Rule is Discuss the post, not the poster.

For example, I have described some insults I have read on this thread as juvenile but I have not described any people or posters as juvenile - big difference.
The following user(s) said Well Said: pascalou, Pats

Step by step, one goes a long way.

Brexit: 5 days 8 hours ago #3127046

• altshovel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2680
  • Honor Medal 2010
I just read today's Yves Smith blog and it's pretty hard to unwind. It sounds like a mess at any rate. If you're interested here's Yves' post.
Brexit: More Unicorns
www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/12/brexit-more-unicorns.html
Sounds like N. Ireland is a big hitch in the giddy up. Among other things.

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

Brexit: 5 days 1 hour ago #3127138

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7412
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thanks, altshovel, an interesting link. Thank you for posting it.

Does anyone think we will stay in the EU ?
Who thinks we will crash out without a deal ?
Who thinks Mrs May's plan will be tweaked so as to be more acceptable ?

Tolerance is the seed : acceptance is the tree.
Last Edit: by Aida.

Brexit: 5 days 1 hour ago #3127146

• Polliyana
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4407
  • Honor Medal 2010

Eira wrote:

How sad at this pivotal moment in time some can contribute nothing more than to blame.

It's not the fact that someone is disagreeing with the PM or blaming her for specific things that bothers me, that's par for the course in politics and, in the course of this thread, I have seen some interesting challenges made in an intelligent manner, with reasoned arguments to back up their point of view. It's when the level of debate is reduced to gratuitous name-calling and insults of a politician you "don't like" or "don't agree with", I find it rather sad, especially when folk are lolling and back slapping each other for coming up with ever more juvenile insults; that really is the lowest level of debate.

I'm just wondering, does aversion of name calling extend to President Trump. He's been lambasted and still is by some on buzz.

Last Edit: by Polliyana.

Brexit: 5 days 1 hour ago #3127150

• Davegem
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1624
  • Honor Medal 2010

Polliyana wrote:

Eira wrote:

I'm just wondering, does aversion of name calling extend to President Trump. He's been lambasted and still is by some on buzz.

Lol im surprised you didn't mention the convicted thug Tommy Robinson. As for the disgusting man Trump, as they say in the playground, "he started it":laugh:
The following user(s) said Well Said: altshovel, kedro, Aida

Moderators: smilesrus10pascalouMikePats
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.