Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Brexit:

Brexit: 7 months 2 weeks ago #3001244

• pascalou
  • Well said received: 10070
  • Honor Medal 2010
I do remember some Brits from both sides, saying on the news, they had no clue about what they were voting for...
And some even said they wanted to stay but voted leave as were sure the leave vote would never win :ohmy: , but they wanted to show their dissatisfaction towards the government! How irresponsible is that!:(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
Last Edit: by pascalou.

Brexit: 7 months 2 weeks ago #3001245

• Polliyana
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4469
  • Honor Medal 2010
Well your entitled to your opinion, I would agree, but then we would both be wrong :)

Brexit: 7 months 2 weeks ago #3001299

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 12498
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: I think the people decided before they knew all the facts and because they were misled. For example, Fishermen say they voted to leave believing they would get more control over fishing rights in British waters, putting their trust in the likes of Nigel Farage, but that hope is now fading. Then there was the misleading suggestion about money for the NHS on the Tory tour bus.

You should rephrase that to read 'some people may have'...many people are not so gullible.
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey

Happy to help.

Brexit: 7 months 2 weeks ago #3001318

• D1A2V3I4
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 484
  • Honor Medal 2010

Polliyana wrote: I agree with everything you say Pats. The largest turn-out for many years voted to leave. At that time we were in a strong position, but all the interference and downplay by the London based media as not helped one bit. What can we expect expect though, remainers negotiating? Plus all the 'as been' ministers., and rich immigrants who

care not one jot for our country. The whole
lot who call themselves remainers are
thinking only of themselves. What a
betrayal.

So in your mind you are saying that all Remainers are selfish only thinking of themselves. Nonsense. How on earth can you say over 16,000,000 people were selfish and just over 17,000,000 were thinking of the good of each other.
In an earlier post I was accused of being patronising. I said that no one who voted had the intelligence to know what they were voting for. I realise now that the accuser thought that I meant intellect. I didn't mean it in that context I was referring to intelligence which is secret information kept secret for political purposes. So no one really knew what a can of worms would be opened. Remainers think of how the people and economic situation will be effected by Brexit. How EU citizens rights will be effected both in the UK and UK citizens immigrants in other EU countries. Remainers think of how free movement of UK citizens around the other 27 members will be affected. Remainers never wanted a border control put in place in Ireland and thus putting the Good Fridayaagreement put in danger. Remainers wanted to be at the table to have a say in how the EU could be improved as the EU is far from perfect.
To put all Remainers in one box scares me even more about Brexit voted for by people with that sort of thinking. On 29/03 / 2019 all UK citizens will lose their EU citizenship. So you voted for having a citizenship taken away from you? You voted for the possibility of having queues 50 miles long outside of our ports. The list goes on and on only strengthening my statement that no one had the intelligence to vote.

Brexit: 7 months 2 weeks ago #3001367

• Lexie78
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 799
  • Honor Medal 2010
We have had a few topics on Brexit, and they have all ended up with a " Yah, Boo "! Shouting match between those who voted Yes and those who voted No in the Referendum. This topic looks like going the same way.... because IMO...those who voted No require that decision to be implemented " come Hell or high water"! The topic itself seems to have been ignored ...ref..." agree customs backstop wording" !
It was suggested above that there are some 300 working days to Brexit ....considerably less in my calendar!
I believe that the "backstop" has to do with the difficult matter of the Irish border. " Difficult " in that without the backstop the likelihood is, effectively, remaining in EU indefinitely without representation ( surely an unacceptable constitutional position for Yes voters?) Then the matter of the " hard border" between NI and Ireland ( likely to be opposed by Irish politicians even though insisted upon by EU).
So, I suppose from a Yes voter's point of view......" stuff the lot of them! Leave EU on 29 March 2019" ....no more argument or discussion.....just leave, and see what happens!
But it has also to do with " customs" ( i.e. "Trade" and jobs and livelihoods, families and welfare). I have accepted that UK is leaving EU. The manner in which it is doing so will, IMO, prove to be disastrous for UK and probably for EU as well. This " customs backstop wording" encapsulates the whole issue...no possible satisfactory agreement leading to
"No Deal" ( for which, I understand, frantic Whitehall arrangements are presently under way?)
UK citizens will lose EU citizenship. Of course, and EU citizens will lose rights in U.K. ( another very interesting Irish question?)

Brexit: 7 months 2 weeks ago #3001375

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7703
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

Aida wrote: I think the people decided before they knew all the facts and because they were misled. For example, Fishermen say they voted to leave believing they would get more control over fishing rights in British waters, putting their trust in the likes of Nigel Farage, but that hope is now fading. Then there was the misleading suggestion about money for the NHS on the Tory tour bus.

You should rephrase that to read 'some people may have'...many people are not so gullible.

I apologise. I should have written ' some people may have ' .... Wording error.

As time goes by and the negotiations falter and our possible post brexit trading partners show their true colours, many more would be leavers may begin to regret their desire to leave The E U. And to the hardline leavers who would leave at any cost to be free of Europe I say we cannot just leave and ' stuff the lot of them' ! The economy matters.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Miesque

Tolerance is the seed : acceptance is the tree.
Last Edit: by Aida.

Brexit: 7 months 2 weeks ago #3001421

• bryoney
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1128
  • Honor Medal 2010
On 29/03 / 2019 all UK citizens will lose their EU citizenship. So you voted for having a citizenship taken away from you?]

I’m distraught! I’m to lose something that I never asked for, never wanted, do not value. I am a British subject, not a vassal of Brussels.....in fact it never occurred to me until I read that remarkable statement that I am an EU citizen. I had to go and look at my Passport!

But nil desperandum all those who want to remain as EU citizens. All you have to do is move from the U.K. before March 2019 et voila!! You are still an EU citizen and can enjoy the Customs Union, the Free Trade Agreement, the ECHR, Frau Merkel, M Macron, and the despicable treatment of the Greeks while sitting safely under the protection of Junkers & co and watching HMS UK sinking into the mire of its own inadequacies.

But just supposing our seemingly dithering negotiators are playing the long game? We know from various TV documentaries that self-interested UK MEPs have been attempting to sabotage Brexit by dreaming up delaying tactics which they pass to Verhofstadt. What if HM Government is playing the same game......keep them talking until time runs out and suddenly we hold all the aces because if the U.K. cannot survive without the EU it is equally certain that the EU cannot survive without the U.K. And then we tell them how things are going to be......
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, Jane R

Brexit: 7 months 2 weeks ago #3001422

• Davegem
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1949
  • Honor Medal 2010

bryoney wrote: On 29/03 / 2019 all UK citizens will lose their EU citizenship. So you voted for having a citizenship taken away from you?]

I’m distraught! I’m to lose something that I never asked for, never wanted, do not value. I am a British subject, not a vassal of Brussels.....in fact it never occurred to me until I read that remarkable statement that I am an EU citizen. I had to go and look at my Passport!

But nil desperandum all those who want to remain as EU citizens. All you have to do is move from the U.K. before March 2019 et voila!! You are still an EU citizen and can enjoy the Customs Union, the Free Trade Agreement, the ECHR, Frau Merkel, M Macron, and the despicable treatment of the Greeks while sitting safely under the protection of Junkers & co and watching HMS UK sinking into the mire of its own inadequacies.

But just supposing our seemingly dithering negotiators are playing the long game? We know from various TV documentaries that self-interested UK MEPs have been attempting to sabotage Brexit by dreaming up delaying tactics which they pass to Verhofstadt. What if HM Government is playing the same game......keep them talking until time runs out and suddenly we hold all the aces because if the U.K. cannot survive without the EU it is equally certain that the EU cannot survive without the U.K. And then we tell them how things are going to be......

I have a feeling the EU might survive Brexit.
Nice to read the thoughts of a Brexiteer though.
Enlightening.

Brexit: 7 months 2 weeks ago #3001453

• pascalou
  • Well said received: 10070
  • Honor Medal 2010

Davegem wrote: I have a feeling the EU might survive Brexit.

I certainly share the same feeling alongside all my EU friends. We certainly to not worry about brexit being the demise of the EU.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, Davegem

Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
Last Edit: by pascalou.

Brexit: 7 months 2 weeks ago #3001539

• Polliyana
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4469
  • Honor Medal 2010

D1A2V3I4 wrote:

Polliyana wrote: I agree with everything you say Pats. The largest turn-out for many years voted to leave. At that time we were in a strong position, but all the interference and downplay by the London based media as not helped one bit. What can we expect expect though, remainers negotiating? Plus all the 'as been' ministers., and rich immigrants who

care not one jot for our country. The whole
lot who call themselves remainers are
thinking only of themselves. What a
betrayal.

So in your mind you are saying that all Remainers are selfish only thinking of themselves. Nonsense. How on earth can you say over 16,000,000 people were selfish and just over 17,000,000 were thinking of the good of each other.
In an earlier post I was accused of being patronising. I said that no one who voted had the intelligence to know what they were voting for. I realise now that the accuser thought that I meant intellect. I didn't mean it in that context I was referring to intelligence which is secret information kept secret for political purposes. So no one really knew what a can of worms would be opened. Remainers think of how the people and economic situation will be effected by Brexit. How EU citizens rights will be effected both in the UK and UK citizens immigrants in other EU countries. Remainers think of how free movement of UK citizens around the other 27 members will be affected. Remainers never wanted a border control put in place in Ireland and thus putting the Good Fridayaagreement put in danger. Remainers wanted to be at the table to have a say in how the EU c ould be improved as the EU is far from perfect.
To put all Remainers in one box scares me even more about Brexit voted for by people with that sort of thinking. On 29/03 / 2019 all UK citizens will lose their EU citizenship. So you voted for having a citizenship taken away from you? You voted for the possibility of having queues 50 miles long outside of our ports. The list goes on and on only strengthening my statement that no one had the intelligence to vote.

Don't you recognise propaganda? When I said remainers were thinking of themselves, I refer to the people with the power and influence 'to put a spanner in the works', Not the voters, they are the ones who are sleep walking into a vassal state. It's really disgusting what's taking place and it could have been avoided if we had someone at the helm with a backbone. Even the US President is reputedly disenchanted with her according to the press.
She decimated the police when Home Secretary, and now she is doing it to our country. I'm so sad.
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey, Jane R

Last Edit: by Polliyana.
Moderators: smilesrus10pascalouMikePats
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.