Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Brexit, the General election and beyond.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 1 week ago #3142763

• Taner
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 232
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote: The only 'democratic' way is to accept the result of the Referendum where the majority vote was to Leave....that's democracy....not moving goalposts to satisfy the 'losing side': :huh:

And have no doubt, if we do leave, the 'losing side' will be all of us! Leavers and remainers!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 1 week ago #3142766

• Lexie78
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1253
  • Honor Medal 2010
All this chat about " democracy" is a waste of time !
The issue is " what is best for UK" ? If you reckon UK can rebuild itself within a reasonable period following "no deal" then you will be content with the referendum result. If you reckon, as I do, that UK has shot itself in the foot then you will lament the referendum result.
However, the matter is now in the safe hands of our politicians. The " democracy" exercise is over. They will decide where the best interests of the UK lie. There is every likelihood, however, that they will " funk" it, and Brexit will be kicked into the long grass!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Merseymog, Aida

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 1 week ago #3142767

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8137
  • Honor Medal 2010
An excellent post, Lexie.

In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 1 week ago #3142936

• Merseymog
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 70
  • Honor Medal 2010
Brexit is basically unworkable and so many untruths were told in 2016 that the referendum has to be disregarded or rerun. The whole thing should never have happened. Almost 3 years of wasted government achieving practically nothing.

In the UK we used to trust politicians, now sadly there are no trustworthy ones in the front benches of both main parties. Come back David Milliband and center ground Tories (if any still exist)!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 1 week ago #3142985

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2216
  • Honor Medal 2010

Eira wrote: Would you rely on Facebook Users as an accurate barometer for political opinion? :lol:

lol no I wouldn't and in fact I don't trust any polls just thought it funny that a Remain group voted to Leave lol

I bet that if the result had gone the other way it would have been all over the papers lol

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 1 week ago #3142988

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2216
  • Honor Medal 2010

Merseymog wrote: If there is a second referendum there is no certainty as to the result. In June 2016 33 million voted and around 11 million failed to vote. Since then of the 44 million electorate about 2 million have passed away and roughly 2 million younger voters are now eligible to vote. We know now a lot more about the EU and the likely consequences of leaving. I voted REMAIN for many reasons and would vote the same way again. I personally know of 3 LEAVE voters who have since changed their and no REMAIN voters who would now vote LEAVE. My view is that there should be a further referendum offering Stay-in-the-EU or Leave-with-whatever-deal TM ends up with. The media tends to be pro-leave but numerous Facebook groups are strongly pro-remain with groups like Scientists for the EU, most MP's pro-remain and an assumed majority of younger voters being pro-remain. The young deserve a say in their future and to be frank though many older voters may well vote leave a good number of them will succumb to life's inevitable end before the effects of Brexit fully come home to roost. My gut feeling is that a second vote would be probably be pro-remain. Most remainers accept that there are issues with the EU but we are better trying to fix them from within, TM's deal is a very poor one from all standpoints, the consequences of a no-deal vary from a hiccup to total disaster. Buzz50 forum members as a group seem to be pro-leave but if any of you are members of Gransnet you will know that they tend to be pro-remain.

All confusing and impossible to predict with any certainty. Remain voters like me think that remain would win whereas leave voters argue that a second poll (which they don't want) would probably win for them. The only democratic way to settle the issue is to have a second public vote conducted honestly with the issues like immigration and the ECJ properly clarified.

Mersey very generous of you to offer a referendum with the choice of May's deal that nobody (either remainers or leavers) want or to remain lol Think you're showing your bias there lol

If there was a second referendum would the Scots then be allowed a second referendum too?

As I've said on numerous occasions on here, we had a referendum and Leave won. Then there was a General Election and 80% of the votes went to parties who had a Leave manifesto. If I wanted to Remain I'd have held my nose and voted for Lib Dems.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 1 week ago #3143044

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8137
  • Honor Medal 2010
.....As I've said on here many times the result was 'leave' but leave voters may have been mislead and not given all of the information required to make such a n important life-changing decision.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cestrian, Miesque

In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 1 week ago #3143049

• Miesque
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 931
Quick Aida, put your tin hat on!

Love minus zero = no limit! Dylan

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 1 week ago #3143050

• Topsy
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4808
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: .....As I've said on here many times the result was 'leave' but leave voters may have been mislead and not given all of the information required to make such a n important life-changing decision.

I was quite happy with the *Info* I was given , however, I wanted out anyway TBH .
Fed up with Brussels .

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 1 week ago #3143051

• Topsy
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4808
  • Honor Medal 2010

Miesque wrote: Quick Aida, put your tin hat on!

:laugh: :laugh:

Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle
Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds