Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Brexit, the General election and beyond.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140142

• KayyGee
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3586
  • Honor Medal 2010

bryoney wrote: To become a vendor, one must be homeless or almost homeless, vulnerably housed or marginalised in some way. The Big Issue recognises, however, that for many people, being housed is only the first stage in getting off the streets; therefore, The Big Issue Foundation exists to support vendors in gaining control of their lives by tackling the various issues which lead to homelessness.

Above is another quote from Wikipedia’s explanation of the Big Issue.

One does not buy this publication from a shop or even from a news stand. Most vendors of the Big Issue sit on the pavement and wait for customers. I have never seen anybody buy one but, from the circulation figures, they must do.

There is no control over it and it does seem a little unfair that somebody may purchase a few of these papers and claim self-employment for actually doing very little. I am quite surprised at this because the self-employed have to produce annual accounts and have them signed off and benefits such as Tax Credits require that a minimum number of hours are worked each week.

It is also becoming apparent, especially in the larger towns and cities, that Big Issue sellers are using any income generated to fund their drug and alcohol addictions and not to earn their way off the streets so maybe that is why peoples’ opinion of it is not good.

And a Merry Christmas to you and goodwill to all.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Taner

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140257

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8137
  • Honor Medal 2010
May God bless the poor, the sick, marginalised and disenfranchised, those addicted to drugs and alcohol, those without faith, those who feel abandoned by their God and by society. Those who find themselves without a roof over their heads because of mental health issues and addiction, those who are without a home because of family break ups, in particular troubled young people.
May they find shelter, food and the warmth of a caring society.
Whatever Brexit brings, may the homeless not be forgotten.

Happy Christmas.
The following user(s) said Well Said: KayyGee, Taner, Mykle

In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140268

• kedro
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4557
  • Honor Medal 2010
WOW! Such judgemental attitude! "No control" - yep, gotta control those people. They don't work enuf hours per week - other self-employed work whatever hours they want; but we need to control those people. Work too little? So then better to have no work at all? So all sellers are alcoholics?
Keep them down! Give them no way up! Not a plan I care for.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140313

• lensman
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1507
  • Honor Medal 2010

kedro wrote: WOW! Such judgemental attitude! "No control" - yep, gotta control those people. They don't work enuf hours per week - other self-employed work whatever hours they want; but we need to control those people. Work too little? So then better to have no work at all? So all sellers are alcoholics?
Keep them down! Give them no way up! Not a plan I care for.

No control referred to the magazine not people.
But never mind that, just keep twisting the words to fit the agenda.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140429

• kedro
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4557
  • Honor Medal 2010
control the magazine?
Not sure what that means. Care to explain?
Who is allowed to sell it? And is NOT allowed to sell it?
Maybe how they are allowed to sell it?
Be good little corporate worker bees - or else. Some do not care for that life style.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140505

• Davegem
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Polliyana wrote:

Taner wrote:

wendeey wrote:

Taner wrote: Yes it was a lot easier in our day, wasn't it Wendeey! Unfortunately, today there are so many zero-hours jobs and companies that ignore the minimum wage that people have to go to food banks (which weren't so necessary in our day) and so many find themselves living on the streets. Yes, thank God it was much better and easier in our day! Oops! Sorry that's not the point you were trying to make, was it.

Yes and why are the companies able to get away with it, but weren't in our day?

This right-wing government perhaps, for one.

This government is not right wing, that's the problem lmo

Going by your previous posts you mean this government is not right wing enough for YOU. But then you're a loyal advocate of the convicted thug Tommy Robinson.

Last edit: by pascalou. Reason: offensive personal remark removed

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140510

• KayyGee
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3586
  • Honor Medal 2010

Davegem wrote:

Polliyana wrote:

Taner wrote:

wendeey wrote:

Taner wrote: Yes it was a lot easier in our day, wasn't it Wendeey! Unfortunately, today there are so many zero-hours jobs and companies that ignore the minimum wage that people have to go to food banks (which weren't so necessary in our day) and so many find themselves living on the streets. Yes, thank God it was much better and easier in our day! Oops! Sorry that's not the point you were trying to make, was it.

Yes and why are the companies able to get away with it, but weren't in our day?

This right-wing government perhaps, for one.

This government is not right wing, that's the problem lmo

Going by your previous posts you mean this government is not right wing enough for YOU. But then you're a loyal advocate of the convicted thug Tommy Robinson. I bet Hitler wasn't right wing enough for you.

Sorry Davegem, that's going a bit to far, Hitler may have been right wing, but he was a foreigner, and that's worse in some circles. :S :S :woohoo:

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140526

• bryoney
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1646
  • Honor Medal 2010

kedro wrote: control the magazine?
Not sure what that means. Care to explain?
Who is allowed to sell it? And is NOT allowed to sell it?
Maybe how they are allowed to sell it?
Be good little corporate worker bees - or else. Some do not care for that life style.

The answers to all of your questions are contained in the Wiki link which you posted.......but you have to read further than the first paragraph.......

One of the critics of The Big Issue is actually an American street paper.......

No seller of the Big Issue is a ‘corporate worker’. You cannot be one of those and also self employed....... It is intended for the homeless, nearly homeless, vulnerable etc to sell but first they have to buy it from the publishers at a cost of £1.25 per magazine which they must then sell for £2.50. The conundrum is how somebody who is destitute and living rough can finance buying enough copies to make any money selling them.

As mentioned previously there is no entitlement to Job Seeker’s Allowance which is an out-of-work benefit so that leaves the kind of benefits which top-up low earnings. In order to qualify for those you must register as self employed, have a Tax Code and a National Insurance number and submit annual accounts which, if my previous post had been read with any measure of understanding, is the part I cannot understand as how does a homeless person obtain those things? To qualify for Working Tax Credit there is also a requirement that a certain number of hours must be worked each week.

None of this is to do with controlling people or being judgmental but simply an objective look at practicalities.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140527

• bryoney
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1646
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: May God bless the poor, the sick, marginalised and disenfranchised, those addicted to drugs and alcohol, those without faith, those who feel abandoned by their God and by society. Those who find themselves without a roof over their heads because of mental health issues and addiction, those who are without a home because of family break ups, in particular troubled young people.
May they find shelter, food and the warmth of a caring society.
Whatever Brexit brings, may the homeless not be forgotten.

No amount of blessings will feed a person and put a roof over their head......so I’ll see you all at the soup kitchen in the unfashionable part of town next Saturday as usual shall I? Actions are what look after the homeless, not well-meaning platitudes. The only way for those in need to find a caring society is for us to provide it........and while a cold night on the street ladling soup and providing company for people who have precious little of it might not be as comfortable as a civilised coffee morning or a charity lunch it is where the help is most appreciated and the benefits can be seen.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140530

• sandoval
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 382
  • Honor Medal 2010
Where I live all the big issue sellers are Romany so it is totally organised and nothing to do with homelessness. As self employed they can claim tax credits, housing benefit , child benefit etc. My local Tesco has had the same Romany beggar for at least 7 years so it must be worthwhile.

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds