Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Brexit, the General election and beyond.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3139334

• Annnie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2801
  • Honor Medal 2010

wendeey wrote:

Taner wrote: Yes it was a lot easier in our day, wasn't it Wendeey! Unfortunately, today there are so many zero-hours jobs and companies that ignore the minimum wage that people have to go to food banks (which weren't so necessary in our day) and so many find themselves living on the streets. Yes, thank God it was much better and easier in our day! Oops! Sorry that's not the point you were trying to make, was it.

Yes and why are the companies able to get away with it, but weren't in our day?

Well scrapping the Wages Councils didn't help. Their powers were reduced then scrapped by the Conservatives.

The act was repealed by Margaret Thatcher’s Wages Act 1986, which
decreased Wage Council power and scope. Thatcher promoted pay flexibility, profit-related pay
and decentralised pay bargaining.
John Major’s Trade Union Reform and Employment Rights Act 1993 then abolished most of the surviving Wage Councils.

Labour recently pledged to reinstate the Agricultural Wages Board in England to set minimum pay levels and other working conditions for farmers – as still exist in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

These wages councils did not only investigate underpaying employees but also chased up employers who were not making NI contributions , not allowing holiday entitlements , not giving the required length of notice etc..

All in all they were a pain in the neck for some kinds of employers and being relieved of the pressure of them was a green light to raise profits and keep their investors happy and take full advantage of an employers' market. .

So it is not so much profit related pay as advocated by Margaret Thatcher but what it is today is pay related profits.

theconversation.com/wage-councils-could-...he-uk-economy-102682

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Annnie.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3139370

• sandoval
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 382
  • Honor Medal 2010
Wendeey "And you don't have to tell me about the homeless and vulnerable, I've done voluntary work for them and actually had them staying in my house." YOU brought up the fact the guy who died was a nasty piece of work so no doubt you crb check all homeless staying in your house.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3139378

• Krystalle
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1244
  • Honor Medal 2010
Over 60 NDA's (Non disclosure agreements) aka gagging orders signed with various industries regarding Brexit preparations. What are they trying to hide? The true nature of the damage and project reality perhaps?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/23...ordered-to-sign-ndas

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3139397

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2216
  • Honor Medal 2010

sandoval wrote: Wendeey "And you don't have to tell me about the homeless and vulnerable, I've done voluntary work for them and actually had them staying in my house." YOU brought up the fact the guy who died was a nasty piece of work so no doubt you crb check all homeless staying in your house.

Don't shout. No, you brought up that particular homeless person, I was just filling you in on his background.

And no I don't have them crb checked. And they're now called DBS checks.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3139398

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2216
  • Honor Medal 2010

Krystalle wrote: Over 60 NDA's (Non disclosure agreements) aka gagging orders signed with various industries regarding Brexit preparations. What are they trying to hide? The true nature of the damage and project reality perhaps?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/23...ordered-to-sign-ndas

The final paragraph gives you the answer: In his reply to Ali’s question, Hammond defended the use of NDAs. “By signing non-disclosure agreements, the department can talk to the industry in confidence prior to making public statements and issuing advice. This means that when we go out to the whole industry we can be confident that any requests of them are clear appropriate and deliverable,” he said

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3139443

• sandoval
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 382
  • Honor Medal 2010
Wendeey :-
"And as for the guy dying outside parliament at the beginning of the year: The homeless man who died yards from Parliament returned to the UK illegally after being jailed for sexually abusing a child and kicked out of the country, it was claimed today. Obtained from: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5402829...er-child-abuser.html "
My quote was "guy from Portugal" - not quite the same. There were probably dozens of paedophiles among the 600 dead and good ridens to them but the theme was about uncontrolled immigration/brexit.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3139699

• Polliyana
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3447
  • Honor Medal 2010

Taner wrote:

wendeey wrote:

Taner wrote: Yes it was a lot easier in our day, wasn't it Wendeey! Unfortunately, today there are so many zero-hours jobs and companies that ignore the minimum wage that people have to go to food banks (which weren't so necessary in our day) and so many find themselves living on the streets. Yes, thank God it was much better and easier in our day! Oops! Sorry that's not the point you were trying to make, was it.

This right-wing government perhaps, for one.

This government is not right wing, that's the problem lmo
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3139859

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8137
  • Honor Medal 2010

Polliyana wrote:

Taner wrote:

wendeey wrote:

This right-wing government perhaps, for one.

This government is not right wing, that's the problem lmo

Thank God ! May the Lord bless us and save us from right wingers !

In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning.

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140041

• kedro
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4557
  • Honor Medal 2010
Not seen an issue, so I looked it up:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Issue

"The Big Issue is a street newspaper founded by John Bird and Gordon Roddick in September 1991 and published in four continents. The Big Issue is one of the UK's leading social businesses and exists to offer homeless people, or individuals at risk of homelessness, the opportunity to earn a legitimate income, thereby helping them to reintegrate into mainstream society. It is the world's most widely circulated street newspaper."

Why is this a problem? A way for some to make their own money. Maybe lack of corporate control?
Or is it maybe ok, except when used by "them", whoever is your current "them" happens to be?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Brexit, the General election and beyond. 11 months 2 weeks ago #3140134

• bryoney
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1646
  • Honor Medal 2010
To become a vendor, one must be homeless or almost homeless, vulnerably housed or marginalised in some way. The Big Issue recognises, however, that for many people, being housed is only the first stage in getting off the streets; therefore, The Big Issue Foundation exists to support vendors in gaining control of their lives by tackling the various issues which lead to homelessness.

Above is another quote from Wikipedia’s explanation of the Big Issue.

One does not buy this publication from a shop or even from a news stand. Most vendors of the Big Issue sit on the pavement and wait for customers. I have never seen anybody buy one but, from the circulation figures, they must do.

There is no control over it and it does seem a little unfair that somebody may purchase a few of these papers and claim self-employment for actually doing very little. I am quite surprised at this because the self-employed have to produce annual accounts and have them signed off and benefits such as Tax Credits require that a minimum number of hours are worked each week.

It is also becoming apparent, especially in the larger towns and cities, that Big Issue sellers are using any income generated to fund their drug and alcohol addictions and not to earn their way off the streets so maybe that is why peoples’ opinion of it is not good.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds