Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Corrie tackles racism

Corrie tackles racism 2 months 1 week ago #3872095

• Eira
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
In this storyline, “they” are not blaming white youths for all racist problems - it is the adults in a racist gang of thugs who are the ones most to blame - the storyline is illustrating how young disenfranchised people can be groomed by adult racists - the adult thugs befriend the youngsters, make them feel important and get them to join their gang, where they are fed racist propaganda and manipulated into joining in with racist activities.

It is also a good lesson on “what not to do” and “how not to react” for parents who suspect their child is hanging around with racist thugs - so far, Max’s parents / guardians have handled it all very badly.
Instead of doing things to make him feel more included and important and creating an atmosphere that makes Max feel he can talk to them about things that are worrying him, they keep giving him angry lectures and telling him how bad he is - every attempt they have made to get Max to “see sense” and get him away from the racist gang has just pushed him further towards the gang members.
When you are on the outside looking in, it is much easier to see the stages of indoctrination and the points at which Max is horrified by what the group are doing, then questions and doubts them but the racist thugs manipulate him to accept their version of the story and he has nobody else he feels he can trust to talk it over with, so he gets drawn further into it all. I expect there will come a point where the gang will expect him to commit crimes, to beat someone up or vandalise property - hopefully, Max will see the light in the TV series before he gets in too deep but in real life, there will be kids who don’t see the light at all or don’t realise until it’s too late then it becomes difficult to get out.

I can imagine this is a common method of grooming youngsters into these “Nationalistic” neo-Nazi-type gangs and it is probably happening in real life all around the country.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Corrie tackles racism 2 months 4 days ago #3873525

• Aida
  • Aida's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1214
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have been watching The Walk-In , a true story about the Far right National Action Party , a disgusting racist organisation which was banned in this country. It showed how a young man, no friends, was gradually sucked into racism, starting with the idea that there were too many immigrants coming here using our resources, then the belief that Jews were controlling money meant for developing medical treatments, followed by a hatred of all Muslims in the wake of the Bradford grooming gangs.
This is how it starts. I applaud Coronation Street for bringing a racism story into our living rooms to enlighten us as to how race hate starts.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

Corrie tackles racism 2 months 4 days ago #3873533

• cahoots
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1709
  • Honor Medal 2010
Perhaps similar methods were used on Shamima Begum and her friends ?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem

Corrie tackles racism 2 months 4 days ago #3873558

• Vienna
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1150
  • Honor Medal 2010
Max is starting to ask questions..
Griff is a truly vile character.

Corrie tackles racism 2 months 3 days ago #3873889

• Vienna
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Griff has been barred from the Rovers... .well done Jenny!

Corrie tackles racism 2 months 3 days ago #3873993

• Aida
  • Aida's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1214
  • Honor Medal 2010
It enjoyed seeing Jenny telling Griff where to get off. He is a nasty piece of work with his insidious racism.
I wonder where the storyline with Hope Stape is going ? I keep having to remind myself that when she was a very small girl she had a cancer diagnosis.

Last edit: by Aida.

Corrie tackles racism 1 month 1 week ago #3880511

• Vienna
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
How long do we have to wait to see Griff get his comeuppance?

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds