Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Coronation Street to be cancelled :ohmy:

Coronation Street to be cancelled :ohmy: 3 months 3 weeks ago #3398618

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7000
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am watching it again after a few months break and I am interested in the story about Yasmin and the bullying behaviour of her husband. I have a friend who has suffered similarly for years at the hands of a quiet and respectable bully of a husband. No violence, just humiliation and restrictions on her movements etc. She is not allowed to have a phone. I know about it and other friends are aware of his behaviour , though she would deny it and defends him with excuses. One or two friends tell her not to put up with it and suggest all kinds of retaliations. I know that wouldn’t work so I just keep an eye on her. She is not encouraged to have friends and I don’t want to give him an excuse to keep us from being in contact. The storyline is all too real and imo very well portrayed by the actors.
It’s easy to stay with the crowd, it takes courage to stand alone.
The following user(s) said Well Said: brenda555, Eira

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Aida.

Coronation Street to be cancelled :ohmy: 3 months 3 weeks ago #3398627

• KayyGee
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2977
  • Honor Medal 2010
I remember seeing the first series when it came down under, said then it would never last. :ohmy: :ohmy:

Coronation Street to be cancelled :ohmy: 3 months 3 weeks ago #3398657

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7051
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: I am watching it again after a few months break and I am interested in the story about Yasmin and the bullying behaviour of her husband. I have a friend who has suffered similarly for years at the hands of a quiet and respectable bully of a husband. No violence, just humiliation and restrictions on her movements etc. She is not allowed to have a phone. I know about it and other friends are aware of his behaviour , though she would deny it and defends him with excuses. One or two friends tell her not to put up with it and suggest all kinds of retaliations. I know that wouldn’t work so I just keep an eye on her. She is not encouraged to have friends and I don’t want to give him an excuse to keep us from being in contact. The storyline is all too real and imo very well portrayed by the actors.

Me too, Aida. I can hardly bear to watch.

I have known a few people who have been in that kind of controlling relationship - it starts off so subtly that the victim doesn’t realise how their autonomy and self-esteem is slowly being eroded and chipped away. They often don’t realise it until long after they’ve escaped - and they don’t always escape unless some catalyst forces things to a head.
Step by step, one goes a long way.

Coronation Street to be cancelled :ohmy: 3 months 1 week ago #3408973

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7000
  • Honor Medal 2010
I see they are repeating the Pat Phelan story with a new character. - the wine bar owner. Last night he blackmailed Abbie to meet him in a hotel room just like Pat did with Anna Windass and then he filmed her undressing. The sexual favours were offered in exchange for him not going to the police. Now he’s blackmailing Kevin, her boyfriend. She hops from one man to another. And would any woman be so foolish as to go back for more from a scumbag sexual predator ?
Oh, thinking about it in the light of the latest news....maybe.
It’s easy to stay with the crowd, it takes courage to stand alone.

Last edit: by Aida.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds