Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: No eggs!

No eggs! 2 months 2 weeks ago #3869918

• Poppet
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 140
  • Honor Medal 2010
Yes managed to get eggs but about 80p more than we usually pay!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No eggs! 2 months 2 weeks ago #3869928

• Yo
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 241
  • Honor Medal 2010
I haven’t noticed eggs going up as much as other foodstuffs, maybe 5 or 10 p more, nothing like double though. Average price about £1.05 for 6 free range, some places, Aldi and Iceland still £1. I paid £2.15 for 15 free range in Lidl slightly more than previously but still cheap.
Egg prices always increase in winter anyway, I believe it’s because hens don’t lay so prolifically.

No eggs! 2 months 1 week ago #3869956

• Bruce
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1326
  • Honor Medal 2010
If one is an egg eater and cannot do without for whatever reason and the supply is very low or none eggsistant lol, can one buy a few chickens? My neighbours over the road have chickens and have done for a while they just run around their back yard and have a cage wooden home thing they go in to when they feel like, No shortage of eggs for those folk,
They are quiet too I have never heard them, and the lady of the house said it is because they are all females, the male chickens are the noisy ones! I don't know if that is correct or not but I am not worried.

RETIRED WITH GRACE

No eggs! 2 months 1 week ago #3869966

• Eira
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Bruce wrote: If one is an egg eater and cannot do without for whatever reason and the supply is very low or none eggsistant lol, can one buy a few chickens? My neighbours over the road have chickens and have done for a while they just run around their back yard and have a cage wooden home thing they go in to when they feel like, No shortage of eggs for those folk,
They are quiet too I have never heard them, and the lady of the house said it is because they are all females, the male chickens are the noisy ones! I don't know if that is correct or not but I am not worried.

We are in the middle of an avian flu epidemic, so this is a challenging time to start keeping hens.
I know quite a few folk who have given up keeping hens because of avian flu regulations or had to have them culled because of an avian flu outbreak.

There is currently a nationwide compulsory “housing order” on all hens and poultry so your neighbours should not be allowing their hens to run around in the back yard at present.
They should keep their hens indoors but the problem with that is that most folk who keep just a few free range hens don’t have the space and facilities to house them safely and comfortably indoors - the small hen houses designed for overnight sleeping aren’t usually suitable to keep hens cooped up 24/7.
The Government rules say that “If it is impossible for you to house your birds you must keep them separate from wild birds in a totally netted enclosure.”
This will prevent wild birds from getting in. However, wild birds could still contaminate the feed – so feeders and any other sources of food and water must be kept under cover, to ensure that wild bird faeces cannot contaminate the hens’ food and water.

Last edit: by Eira.

No eggs! 2 months 1 week ago #3869968

• Vienna
  • Vienna's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1150
  • Honor Medal 2010
Eggs seem to be fairly reasonably priced at the moment, when you can get them.
I have no complaints about the price at all.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Yo, Aida

No eggs! 2 months 1 week ago #3869978

• Sirfurryanimal
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 193
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vienna wrote: Eggs seem to be fairly reasonably priced at the moment, when you can get them.
I have no complaints about the price at all.

Can get a tray of 15 for £1.50 in ASDA!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Vienna

Glory to Ukraine.Safety for Yulianna.

No eggs! 2 months 1 week ago #3869986

• Pats
  • Away
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1653
  • Honor Medal 2010
We can get plenty of eggs from the local farm shop and no increase in price up to now.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, Vienna

Happy to help.
Last edit: by Pats.

No eggs! 2 months 1 week ago #3870068

• Bruce
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1326
  • Honor Medal 2010

Eira wrote:

Bruce wrote: If one is an egg eater and cannot do without for whatever reason and the supply is very low or none eggsistant lol, can one buy a few chickens? My neighbours over the road have chickens and have done for a while they just run around their back yard and have a cage wooden home thing they go in to when they feel like, No shortage of eggs for those folk,

We are in the middle of an avian flu epidemic, so this is a challenging time to start keeping hens.
I know quite a few folk who have given up keeping hens because of avian flu regulations or had to have them culled because of an avian flu outbreak.

There is currently a nationwide compulsory “housing order” on all hens and poultry so your neighbours should not be allowing their hens to run around in the back yard at present.
They should keep their hens indoors but the problem with that is that most folk who keep just a few free range hens don’t have the space and facilities to house them safely and comfortably indoors - the small hen houses designed for overnight sleeping aren’t usually suitable to keep hens cooped up 24/7.
The Government rules say that “If it is impossible for you to house your birds you must keep them separate from wild birds in a totally netted enclosure.”
This will prevent wild birds from getting in. However, wild birds could still contaminate the feed – so feeders and any other sources of food and water must be kept under cover, to ensure that wild bird faeces cannot contaminate the hens’ food and water.

I haven't a clue if they have the hens on lockdown or not, There is a compulsory order on all hens? I learn something new each day.
In times like this knowing some people need eggs where as others like eggs but don't need them I would be prepared to not buy eggs so others who need them can have them.
I can go for ever without eggs so let those who have a small balanced diet which eggs are a main part have the eggs.
People are to selfish to do that in the main though.

RETIRED WITH GRACE

No eggs! 2 months 1 week ago #3870639

• Sandgrounder
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1491
  • Honor Medal 2010
Have to admit since I bought some eggs at the weekend, I am enjoying my egg sandwich at breakfast each day .

No eggs! 2 months 1 week ago #3871828

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1214
  • Honor Medal 2010
There were plenty of eggs on sale in Home Bargains this morning.

Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds