Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: Crazy beliefs and why some believe them.

Crazy beliefs and why some believe them. 1 week 2 days ago #3852029

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1034
Ok fasten your seatbelts, I must have heard some crazy beliefs in my life such as the world is flat and what we have on another thread Telling Bees someone has passed and I am sure you have heard many more.

Anyway this morning whilst at school I have heard the most outrageous for a long time,
whilst my wife and another mum were discussing her aunts funeral date and cause of death a dad who was earwigging spoke up, This is what he said and yes he was serious........................There is a cure for cancer! they can cure all cancers but they don't let anyone know as they would lose millions in income from cancer treatment and they use cancer as population control! years ago no one got cancer it is man made to control populations! If you look at the Royal family and those PMs and Presidents around the world don't you find it funny them or their families never get cancer?
I said the queen mother had cancer and we had a king who had cancer but I can't recall his name so that is wrong, He refused to accept that and said they will say that after they have died to make you believe they do get it but they don't.
I was at this point thinking my wife doesn't need to hear this rubbish right now so I said Whatever pal you carry on but have a bit of respect when you have just heard her say her aunt passed because of cancer instead of chatting that rubbish and we left.

I know we can all have different opinions like many of us of have on covid and other things but when it reaches absolute lunatic beliefs with no proof whatsoever just waffle like we hear coming from the mouths of the mentally ill or David Icke I started to have that feeling we get when I think Am I the only sane person left on the planet?

Now I ask where do people get all this absolute garbage from? And why do they believe it? What is wrong with these people's brains? Is it social media? Is it lockdown has made people go nutty as a fruitcake? What is it?
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

Please Log in to join the conversation.

RETIRED WITH GRACE

Crazy beliefs and why some believe them. 1 week 2 days ago #3852031

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1511
  • Honor Medal 2010
They are gullible. It's as simple as that .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Crazy beliefs and why some believe them. 1 week 2 days ago #3852032

• MoonlitRoads63
  • Well said received: 816
  • Honor Medal 2010
Very simply put, some people love a conspiracy theory.

There are a few people making money out of these things - there are books on Elvis being alive, for example. I have a book on conspiracy theories. I got it cheap for when I need a laugh. It even has a disclaimer saying the book is for entertainment purposes only.

The danger is of course when people like the bloke you mentioned actually believe these theories. The internet is full of these theories and unfortunately people think they're true without any proof. Misinformation spreads and it gets harder to separate truth from fiction.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce, Pats

Time waits for no one...
...and it won't wait for me

Crazy beliefs and why some believe them. 1 week 2 days ago #3852071

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1982
  • Honor Medal 2010
I think the type of garbage that man was spouting about cancer comes mostly from the internet now, where people make a living out of creating websites to promote wild conspiracy theories.
If someone regularly looks at sites like this, they can be fooled into believing all sorts of stuff, especially if they do not have any background knowledge of the topic under discussion or if they have not been trained to dissect and analyse information presented in an objective and logical manner - the authors of some of these conspiracy theories may even believe it themselves, whereas others are doing it for political or mischievous purposes.
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing and they often use “bits of science” (often misunderstood or incorrectly applied) to develop a theory but ignore all the facts that don’t “fit in” with their theory.
They make the mistake of developing the theory before they have learned to fully understand the subject and before they have looked at all the facts, then they just look for information which supports their confirmation bias.

Personally, I would not lump the “crazy ideas” borne from modern-day conspiracy theories in with the old traditions, like “telling the bees” - that is not the same at all.

The folk who follow ancient Celtic traditions, like “telling the bees” or lighting a “Jack o’Lantern” at Hallowe’en or bringing some seasonal Holly indoors at Christmastime are not necessarily believing in the ancient Celtic Gods and rituals - it’s more like following tradition in a nod to our ancient Celtic roots.
That’s why I continue those “crazy” ancient traditions, anyway.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Bruce, Mandycakes, Pats

Step by step, one goes a long way.

Crazy beliefs and why some believe them. 1 week 2 days ago #3852073

• Woody
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 912
  • Honor Medal 2010
A small percentage of conspiracy theories turn out to be true so……Of course the internet can start them and help spread them like wildfire. A fortune tellers and psychics are wrong 99 percent of the time yet, folks believe and part with their money no problem. Humans are complex.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Yo, Bruce

4-24-41 to 8-20-22 RIP Mom.
Last edit: by Woody.

Crazy beliefs and why some believe them. 1 week 2 days ago #3852079

• Robin
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 414
  • Honor Medal 2010
let me see how to start this, Shriners Hospital have patients that have gotten rid of cancel but they don't mention their losses. Like a commercial on tv where they make it sound like it cures cancel and told the wife, "pay attention to what they are saying. no where in the commercial did they directly say it stops or prevent cancer or death. they are playing word games just like politicians, saying thing you want to here and your misinterpreting what they said, not what they actually are saying". we have seen that a lot.

take it for what it's worth, heard that cancel is going up because all the processed foods we eat now.
i believe, some cancers can be cured, via surgery of medications, but all. just my 2 cents.

And as advised previously, there are right time and inappropriate time to discuss things.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Bruce

Robin

Crazy beliefs and why some believe them. 1 week 2 days ago #3852083

• Davenorave
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 273
  • Honor Medal 2010
Fair bit of drivel your man spoke there, Bruce. Cancer, as a form of population control, would be a poor choice, since people can live with cancer for many years. Not to mention able to be cured. I have known, or heard of, many of societies wealthy and elite who have died of cancer. So his rationalization is a crock.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, MoonlitRoads63, Bruce, Pats

Crazy beliefs and why some believe them. 1 week 2 days ago #3852088

• Vienna
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 860
  • Honor Medal 2010
"Now I ask where do people get all this absolute garbage from? And why do they believe it? What is wrong with these people's brains? Is it social media?"

No it isn't social media - conspiracy theories have been around since way before the internet, social media hasn't helped.

Conspiracy theories are not just about medical matters.
Many still believe that Princess Diana's death wasn't an accident.
Amazing how even after all these years, this conspiracy theory is still with us.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Last edit: by Vienna.

Crazy beliefs and why some believe them. 1 week 2 days ago #3852090

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1034

Vienna wrote: "Now I ask where do people get all this absolute garbage from? And why do they believe it? What is wrong with these people's brains? Is it social media?"

No it isn't social media - conspiracy theories have been around since way before the internet, social media hasn't helped.

Conspiracy theories are not just about medical matters.
Many still believe that Princess Diana's death wasn't an accident.
Amazing how even after all these years, this conspiracy theory is still with us.

Oh I agree, but with things like Diana's death even if it was an accident there is still the possibility it wasn't, now we may believe it was an accident but there is still bits of the whole sad saga which don't add up, so I can see why some may think it wasn't an accident. We read the evidence and we make our own minds up.

But with this clown and his all cancers are curable and it is for population control There is no proof whatsoever to even give it a shred of seriousness which is why I asked how people can come up with this waffle.

I could imagine me standing telling people men don't really go bald but their hair is stolen by borrowers to weave in to baskets! I think I would be seeing the green van with square wheels and padded sides and the jacket which fastens at the back! Scary thing is many of these lunatics who peddle the crazy walk amongst us every day!
God help us.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Robin, Pats

RETIRED WITH GRACE

Crazy beliefs and why some believe them. 1 week 2 days ago #3852093

• macywack
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 317
  • Honor Medal 2010
just waiting for someone to post that there is no father christmas
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots