Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met?

Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met? 4 months 4 days ago #3744157

• TwistNShout
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 217
  • Honor Medal 2010
I guess it is pushing it to say "met" but I was on parade when we were inspected by Her Majesty the Queen Mother, she did speak to someone two away from me.

I used to hang out with someone who was good mates with Lemmy, and having met Lemmy I've had many an interesting chat with him.
The following user(s) said Well Said: grahamg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

vivamus vitae non paenitenda

Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met? 4 months 4 days ago #3744162

• Aries1950
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 364
  • Honor Medal 2010
Back in the 1980's while attending The Happy Together Tour at the Beacon Theater in Manhattan, where I saw Gary Lewis and the Playboys, The Buckinghams, The Grass Roots, Tommy James and the Shondells, and of course The Turtles, I spoke to Tommy James. I was sitting in the front row, 2 seats away from a constantly screaming blonde woman. Tommy James jumped off of the stage, and shook hands with 4 or 5 of us in the front row, and said, "Hi! How's it going?" I answered, "Fine!" He also greeted the guy next to me who may have come with the screaming blonde. After shaking hands with him, he turned and went back on stage. I believe he did it deliberately to silence the woman, who was jumping with joy at the prospect of shaking his hand. It worked. I didn't hear a peep out of her for the rest of their set.

I can think of 3 others who I saw up close but didn't speak to them. Two of them Claudette Colbert and Frank Gorshin (The Riddler on TV's Batman), came into the showroom of a place where I was working in Greenwich Village.

The 3rd one, Charles Durning, the fat actor who played Pappy O'Daniel, in O Brother, Where Art Thou? knocked me off balance when he pushed by me to get a Sunday newspaper at a street newsstand. He gave me a rather rude look, as if it was my fault that he was grossly overweight.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Heather

Remembering the 10 Souls lost in Buffalo. R.I.P

Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met? 4 months 4 days ago #3744202

• sciguy18
  • sciguy18's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1525
  • Honor Medal 2010

TwistNShout wrote: I guess it is pushing it to say "met" but I was on parade when we were inspected by Her Majesty the Queen Mother, she did speak to someone two away from me.

I used to hang out with someone who was good mates with Lemmy, and having met Lemmy I've had many an interesting chat with him.

Oh, I know of Lemmy. From Motorhead, right?
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout

Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met? 4 months 4 days ago #3744203

• sciguy18
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aries1950 wrote: Back in the 1980's while attending The Happy Together Tour at the Beacon Theater in Manhattan, where I saw Gary Lewis and the Playboys, The Buckinghams, The Grass Roots, Tommy James and the Shondells, and of course The Turtles, I spoke to Tommy James. I was sitting in the front row, 2 seats away from a constantly screaming blonde woman. Tommy James jumped off of the stage, and shook hands with 4 or 5 of us in the front row, and said, "Hi! How's it going?" I answered, "Fine!" He also greeted the guy next to me who may have come with the screaming blonde. After shaking hands with him, he turned and went back on stage. I believe he did it deliberately to silence the woman, who was jumping with joy at the prospect of shaking his hand. It worked. I didn't hear a peep out of her for the rest of their set.

I can think of 3 others who I saw up close but didn't speak to them. Two of them Claudette Colbert and Frank Gorshin (The Riddler on TV's Batman), came into the showroom of a place where I was working in Greenwich Village.

The 3rd one, Charles Durning, the fat actor who played Pappy O'Daniel, in O Brother, Where Art Thou? knocked me off balance when he pushed by me to get a Sunday newspaper at a street newsstand. He gave me a rather rude look, as if it was my fault that he was grossly overweight.

Good stories - and good for me for actually knowing who all those people are.

Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met? 4 months 4 days ago #3744279

• Rips
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1395
  • Honor Medal 2010
I met Victoria Wood , she made me a cup of coffee . A lovely normal woman .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Yo, grahamg

Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met? 4 months 3 days ago #3744298

• QuietMouse01
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 601
  • Honor Medal 2010

TwistNShout wrote:

QuietMouse01 wrote: I know most people dislike him, but
Russell Brand - his mum is one of my best friends...
she is lovely and doesnt swear !:lol:

I met Russell once, he told us a great story of being in the US when West Ham were playing and phoning his mum to find out the score - apparently she held the phone to the radio so he could listen to the commentary :laugh:

I know some people find him irritating but I thought he was a really nice guy and not at all concepted like some "stars".

Yes he is a nice guy, as toddlers, Russell and my son used to play in my back garden.....he looks after his mum, Ive known her since I was a teenager.....We are West Ham supporters too....smile.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout

Today is the tomorrow
you worried about yesterday -
and all is well...

Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met? 4 months 3 days ago #3744322

• sciguy18
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Rips wrote: I met Victoria Wood , she made me a cup of coffee . A lovely normal woman .

I have to admit I don’t know who that is.

Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met? 4 months 3 days ago #3744326

• Heather
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1
  • Honor Medal 2010
Davy Jones prior to him being in the Monkees & in the early 2000s met Tommy Lee Jones on the set of a movie he was directing.

I am pieces of all the places I have been, and the people I have loved.
I've been stitched together by song lyrics, book quotes,
adventure, late night conversations, moonlight,
and the smell of coffee.

Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met? 4 months 3 days ago #3744327

• grahamg
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 284
  • Honor Medal 2010

sciguy18 wrote:

Rips wrote: I met Victoria Wood , she made me a cup of coffee . A lovely normal woman .

I have to admit I don’t know who that is.

She used to perform on stage and TV in comedy sketch type shows with Julie Walters, (who you are perhaps more familiar with, having acted alongside Michael Cain in "Educating Rita")!

I think she wrote most of the material for their shows too, and died much too young.

Last edit: by grahamg.

Who is the most famous person you’ve ever met? 4 months 3 days ago #3744331

• Shadowman
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 760
  • Honor Medal 2010
I suppose all this hinges on the definition of famous and met. I often describe myself as celebrity deficient. If one sat next to me, I probably would not recognize them, unless it was Madonna wearing that distinctive cone bra.

Vincit qui Patitur
Moderators: mikePascalouPatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds