Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: how familiar are you with things computer and technological

how familiar are you with things computer and technological 1 week 3 days ago #3537612

• aviator
  • aviator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 368
  • Honor Medal 2010
computing and the allied have made great strides over the last few decades. there are terms like ram, dram, rom,os, ports, bits, bytes. then, there have been various predictions. some dead right and some way way wrong.

whos said " think there is a world market for maybe five computer"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

how familiar are you with things computer and technological 1 week 3 days ago #3537616

• macywack
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 529
  • Honor Medal 2010
i'm a plug it in, switch it on peep, don't do twiddles
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rips, Steffiegirl, aviator

how familiar are you with things computer and technological 1 week 3 days ago #3537622

• altshovel
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 948
  • Honor Medal 2010
I just kind of stumble around. I got a new laptop and I have yet to transfer files from the old one. I'm lazy that way. It's been almost three months.
Generally it's "hunt and peck" or get help from friends. I wish my kids were close by!
“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, Steffiegirl

how familiar are you with things computer and technological 1 week 3 days ago #3537627

• aviator
  • aviator's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 368
  • Honor Medal 2010
i suspected that and wonder why our generation is a bit wary of it.

once you get to it, may be it will be more interesting.

or is it like mathamatics, either you love it or you hate it!

how familiar are you with things computer and technological 1 week 3 days ago #3537658

• Steffiegirl
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 87
  • Honor Medal 2010
They don't bother me. I started working with WANG (back in the 80's) which is a word processor and it was brilliant considering I had so much to do. I was in Norway working for an oil company and you had to be quick. Then you go onto different ones and learn something new along the way.
I even went to college when I arrived in Aberdeen just to keep up my skills like powerpoint, excel etc etc....Don't use any of it now.
The following user(s) said Well Said: aviator

how familiar are you with things computer and technological 1 week 3 days ago #3537668

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2903
  • Honor Medal 2010
I’m a quill and inkwell kind of lady.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rips, aviator

how familiar are you with things computer and technological 1 week 3 days ago #3537696

• Steffiegirl
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 87
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: I’m a quill and inkwell kind of lady.

I must admit I love writing with a fountain pen which is what I use most for my journals.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rips

how familiar are you with things computer and technological 1 week 3 days ago #3537705

• Starfish
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 144
  • Honor Medal 2010

aviator wrote: there have been various predictions. some dead right and some way way wrong.

whos said " think there is a world market for maybe five computer"

Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.
I guess we should be lenient with Thomas Watson who had other computers in mind back then.
I've never taken a computer course but have been using PCs for 30 years now both at home and at work, as most people of our generation I think, teaching myself what I needed to know. I'm fairly familiar with them as far as everyday use is concerned. I enjoy working on the computer. If there's something new I need to be able to do, I learn it from the web. It's so much easier to do certain work and I envy the younger generations who don't have to use a typewriter nor pen and pencil.
"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
The following user(s) said Well Said: aviator

Last edit: by Starfish.

how familiar are you with things computer and technological 1 week 3 days ago #3537715

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1424
  • Honor Medal 2010
When I buy something electronic I tend to switch it on and start using it, having given the operating manual a quick browse first. Have my best learning curve when something goes wrong and I have to sort it out.

how familiar are you with things computer and technological 1 week 3 days ago #3537740

• Ivorbigwedge
  • Away
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 563
  • Honor Medal 2010
As I was an engineer before I retired I am fairly comfortable with most technology and usually have the wherewithall to fathom out any issues.

On the other hand my understanding of computing is fairly elementary but I'm lucky enough to have a son in law that is an IT wizard and he is my first port of call to resolve my problems.
A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy.

Never argue with an idiot......they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds