• Sirfurryanimal
  • Sirfurryanimal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1505
  • Honor Medal 2010
From Wales online
Argos catalgoues scrapped after 50 years

Argos has announced it’s scrapping its famous catalogue.

For many, the Argos catalogue was a thing of magic during childhood, especially flicking through toys and electronics at Christmas time and creating a wish list.

Argos is now “bidding a fond farewell” to the catalogue as customers turn to online shopping.

Argos’ catalogue was first launched in 1972 and each year two editions are printed for customers to take home or browse in stores.
The Cornish Pasty
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Goodbye Argos Catalogue 4 days 18 hours ago #3503256

• cahoots
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 381
  • Honor Medal 2010
:( There are some things about this modern world that I don't like.

I have very fond memories of the Argos catalogue … what a shame. Spending an hour with a cuppa and looking at all the goodies was a wonderfully relaxing thing to do, even if I didn't actually order anything … some days it was better than watching the telly :laugh:

I especially looked forward to the Christmas one.
BE the change you want to see
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sirfurryanimal, JennieR62, Robin, Bruce

Goodbye Argos Catalogue 4 days 18 hours ago #3503258

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1633
  • Honor Medal 2010
I went in to Argos a few days after they changed it all to touch screens and I was lost can't use them! They didn't have a catalogue in there and an Argos employee did it for me, Never went back for ages as I can't use touch screen and you look a right clod standing there with employees doing it for you but telling you each step like you are 5 years old.
I was told they had reintroduced the catalogue in store and they have and I am hoping they keep them in store for people like me.
I will miss having an Argos catalogue around the house, Many times spent sitting on the toilet looking through that catalogue lol.
LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sirfurryanimal

Goodbye Argos Catalogue 4 days 18 hours ago #3503265

• Bessie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2505
  • Honor Medal 2010
cutting costs of producing the catalogs saving them money. on line has took over everything now!
not everyone wants to buy everything on line these days. it's nice to see what you're getting when shopping for things.
i remember my mother having Kays Catalogs and the other ones. heavy thick things they was. i spent hours looking through them.
Life's Too Short To Be Serious!!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sirfurryanimal, Robin

Goodbye Argos Catalogue 4 days 17 hours ago #3503275

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1732
  • Honor Medal 2010
Everything is done online, gone are the days when you sat browsing through the catalogue.
No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sirfurryanimal, JennieR62, Robin, Bessie

Goodbye Argos Catalogue 4 days 17 hours ago #3503276

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3326
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote: I went in to Argos a few days after they changed it all to touch screens and I was lost can't use them! They didn't have a catalogue in there and an Argos employee did it for me, Never went back for ages as I can't use touch screen and you look a right clod standing there with employees doing it for you but telling you each step like you are 5 years old.
I was told they had reintroduced the catalogue in store and they have and I am hoping they keep them in store for people like me.
I will miss having an Argos catalogue around the house, Many times spent sitting on the toilet looking through that catalogue lol.

I agree with what you say about the Touch Screens in the Argos stores. They are not at all user friendly and when I used to go into my local store to order something to take away there and then, I always used the laminated catalogue that is beside each touch screen to find the index number for what I wanted. I think they are getting rid of the in-store catalogues too, by next year, so I hope they are going to update their awful in-store ordering screens to make them easier to use.

I find it much easier to look online at home nowadays and pre-order it, then pop down to the store to collect it - it enables me to compare their products and prices with other retailers first - it also saves me a wasted journey to my local Argos store if the item I want is not in stock. The online order tells me what day it will be in stock and ready for collection.

Actually, I’ve just ordered a new micro-cut paper shredder from Argos today - I discovered my local store never stock them and I did not fancy driving to all the way to another town to collect one so I asked for home delivery - I only ordered it an hour ago but they confirmed it would be delivered this evening - that’s quick!

I remember my brother and me poring over my Mum’s mail-order catalogues when we were kids, especially at Christmas - we used to look at all the toys we would like but knew we’d never get - the best bit was the pages full of Christmas Food Hampers - we used to drool over those!

Our kids used to like looking at the Argos catalogues too - they would point out to me all the “modern” electronic gadgets of their day and try to explain what they were - like “Walkman” tape players, PlayStation type consoles and games - I thought technology was moving far too fast for me to keep up in those days ... hahaha ... when I look back at what seemed like “cutting edge” gadgets in the 1980s and 90s, they seem so clunky and outdated now!

I can’t say I will miss the Argos catalogues - they use an awful lot of paper and I doubt that many folk have much use for them now.
Step by step, one goes a long way.

Last edit: by Eira.

Goodbye Argos Catalogue 4 days 14 hours ago #3503349

• Sirfurryanimal
  • Sirfurryanimal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1505
  • Honor Medal 2010
Argos are great for same or next day delivery.Provided your local store has the item!That’s how they do it so quickly.
The Cornish Pasty

Goodbye Argos Catalogue 4 days 14 hours ago #3503363

• Vienna
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1617
  • Honor Medal 2010
I used to enjoy looking through the Argos catalogue, I remember they brought out a micro version of the catalogue some years ago don't think it was very popular so returned to large format soon after.

I like the touchscreens in store (when you can find one that's working!) I can search for what i'm looking for much quicker than flipping through all those pages.
"Do what is right - not what is easy, or popular.."

Goodbye Argos Catalogue 4 days 11 hours ago #3503437

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1633
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vienna wrote: I used to enjoy looking through the Argos catalogue, I remember they brought out a micro version of the catalogue some years ago don't think it was very popular so returned to large format soon after.

I like the touchscreens in store (when you can find one that's working!) I can search for what i'm looking for much quicker than flipping through all those pages.

Wow you are better than most I have been in the store with my son and he goes straight to the touchscreen and I just open the index of the catalogue see what page I need job done, usually I get there first than him tapping that screen.
I will struggle as I can stand there all day tapping the screen and nothing ever happens yet others tap the same screen and it works, hate the silly things.
LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

Goodbye Argos Catalogue 4 days 10 hours ago #3503449

• DarrenM
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 788
  • Honor Medal 2010
We didn't have the Argos catalogue to look through when we were young'uns, we did have the Littlewoods catalogue to get all excited looking at around Christmas

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds