TOPIC: A/C

A/C 2 weeks 3 days ago #3484389

• Topsy
  • Topsy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1735
  • Honor Medal 2010
I know you Americans have it in your homes,we don"t usually ,because we don"t usually get the high temps you do .
Do you Brits in this Mini heatwave we are having, put fans on ?
I have found I just have to , as I feel I am melting frankly .
Never let anyone ever dull your sparkle
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rose57

Please Log in to join the conversation.

A/C 2 weeks 3 days ago #3484423

• NewTricks
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 955
  • Honor Medal 2010
Not at home but the factory where I work gets extremely warm so as soon as I get back to the office my little desk fan goes on. It plugs into the laptop and is a lifesaver.
Better to be thought a fool........
than to open your mouth and prove it!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rose57, MoonlitRoads63

A/C 2 weeks 3 days ago #3484435

• T65KBK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Last year I treated myself to a large fan that's remote controled and has ten settings ranging from a gentle breeze to a gale ... it's fantastic when it gets too hot even to be in garden shade.

Last edit: by T65KBK.

A/C 2 weeks 3 days ago #3484439

• Eira
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3486
  • Honor Medal 2010
We use air conditioning where I do voluntary work because there is not enough natural ventilation but I don’t really like it and find it quite drying for the skin, and I don’t need it at home.
I have a couple of fans at home, in case of need, but I very rarely use them.
Yesterday and today, while it’s been hot, I just opened all the windows and secured the patio doors fully open, to allow the breeze to blow through. Drawing blinds or curtains in rooms where the sun is streaming in helps to keep indoors cool too.
By the time I finished mowing the lawns this evening and putting stuff in the garden to bed for the night, it was cool enough inside to close the patio doors and close a few windows.
The temperature indoors is just right now - pleasantly warm but not too hot.
The sun is on my bedroom windows now, so I’ve drawn the blinds but left the windows ajar, to make sure it’s cool in there by bedtime.

I happened to see a bit of GMB this morning and there was a cooling tip on there I have never thought of - pop a “cold water bottle” in your bed to cool it down.
I have sometimes filled a traditional rubber “hot water bottle” to warm the bed in Winter but I have never thought of filling it with cold or chilled water to cool down in Summer!
Step by step, one goes a long way.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy, T65KBK

A/C 2 weeks 3 days ago #3484444

• T65KBK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Eira wrote: We use air conditioning where I do voluntary work because there is not enough natural ventilation but I don’t really like it and find it quite drying for the skin, and I don’t need it at home.
I have a couple of fans at home, in case of need, but I very rarely use them.
Yesterday and today, while it’s been hot, I just opened all the windows and secured the patio doors fully open, to allow the breeze to blow through. Drawing blinds or curtains in rooms where the sun is streaming in helps to keep indoors cool too.
By the time I finished mowing the lawns this evening and putting stuff in the garden to bed for the night, it was cool enough inside to close the patio doors and close a few windows.
The temperature indoors is just right now - pleasantly warm but not too hot.
The sun is on my bedroom windows now, so I’ve drawn the blinds but left the windows ajar, to make sure it’s cool in there by bedtime.

I happened to see a bit of GMB this morning and there was a cooling tip on there I have never thought of - pop a “cold water bottle” in your bed to cool it down.
I have sometimes filled a traditional rubber “hot water bottle” to warm the bed in Winter but I have never thought of filling it with cold or chilled water to cool down in Summer!

Some good tips there Eira.

A/C 2 weeks 2 days ago #3484628

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1360
  • Honor Medal 2010
Got ourselves an aircon machine about 15 years ago when it was very hot from Focus DIY, the same ones they have in small shops fan thing outside the house and the other bit inside the house it involved knocking a 4 inch hole through the wall which we did got it all set up and it was brilliant front room was like being in the car with the air con on lasted at least 3-4 days if I recall correct then it was on but not blowing cold so after investigation we found out some lemon (still don't know which one of the kids it was) had pulled the handle up which locks the pipes together for the coolant gas from outside to inside and the handle was on the outside and all the gas had all been released. Had it refilled and a month later it had happened again. Weather turned so we didn't touch it until the year after and then it wouldn't work at all so we binned it and bought some electric fans like normal people lol. That reminds me to ask now the kids are older who it was and charge them an Indian Take Away for my pain and suffering. :lol:
LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, T65KBK, MoonlitRoads63

A/C 2 weeks 2 days ago #3484644

• MoonlitRoads63
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2199
  • Honor Medal 2010
Tower fan in the lounge and desktop fan in the bedroom. They are making a real difference.
Time waits for no one...
...and it won't wait for me

A/C 2 weeks 2 days ago #3484683

• Aussienan
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 66
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'm in Australia we have a reverse cycle aircon does the heating and cooling.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rose57

A/C 2 weeks 2 days ago #3484697

• Rips
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2414
  • Honor Medal 2010
I’ve a dyson cool & pure fan It’s great ..

A/C 2 weeks 2 days ago #3484723

• QuietMouse01
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 711
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have 5 fans.....
3 are tower fans.....they are great...
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains unawakened.
The following user(s) said Well Said: NewTricks