Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Less serious topics and relaxing chat

TOPIC: Controversial lawn decoration ignites battle within neighbourhood

Controversial lawn decoration ignites battle within neighbourhood 2 weeks 4 days ago #3483784

• Ivorbigwedge
  • Ivorbigwedge's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 596
  • Honor Medal 2010
Don't know much about Home Owners Associations so was surprised that they could fine anyone.

Obviously the woman is unfamiliar with the concept of "live and let live"

A woman was so upset about a frog statuette in her neighbour’s lawn that she reported it to her homeowner’s association (HOA) — and the rest is history.

A Reddit user, writing under the username anonymous28538382348, shared details about her campaign against the lawn ornament to the website’s r/AmITheA******* forum.

In the post, which drew hundreds of comments and went viral on Twitter, anonymous28538382348 explains that she goes on walks through the neighbourhood with her husband and 6-year-old daughter every day.

“Recently one of our neighbours put up a frog statuette up for display outside their house,” she wrote. “I find it really creepy … my daughter hates it. She is absolutely terrified of it. Now she refuses to go on walks.”

Anonymous28538382348 said she went to the house to ask the owners to move the statuette so it was “no longer on display,” but they declined.

She immediately reached out to a neighbour, who is vice president of the HOA, hoping to “force them to take the statuette down.”

The neighbour said the statuette is a violation of HOA bylaws, so the frog’s owners were forced to take it down and are now being fined.

“My husband says that I took it too far. I see it differently,” anonymous28538382348 concluded. “The statuette is destroying the aesthetics of the neighbourhood and is scaring the children.”

Commenters had strong feelings about the neighbourhood drama.

“It’s pathetic you’re wasting so much time stressing over this,” one user said.

Some thought she was overreacting.

“If you buy something, like a house, you should be able to do with it what you please and decorate it how you want,” another user wrote. “HOAs are an excuse for people with no lives to nitpick their neighbours and cause drama.”

Many expressed concern over the lesson the Redditor’s was teaching their child.

“Literally walk down a different street if you hate it that much. Or, alternately, take the opportunity to talk with you kid about how different people find different things beautiful, and that a cool thing about humanity!” one user said.

“Way to ensure you raise an entitled child,” another summarised.
A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy.

Never argue with an idiot......they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, WWWoody, dimplesofusa

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ivorbigwedge.

Controversial lawn decoration ignites battle within neighbourhood 2 weeks 4 days ago #3483787

• WWWoody
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1653
  • Honor Medal 2010
Dang, I don’t mind it at all. In fact I really like frogs. I have one remaining after Freddie died. Or was it Froggy? :unsure:
God Bless Murica!

Last edit: by WWWoody.

Controversial lawn decoration ignites battle within neighbourhood 2 weeks 4 days ago #3483789

• MoonlitRoads63
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2203
  • Honor Medal 2010
Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

I feel sorry for the kid. And the husband.
Time waits for no one...
...and it won't wait for me
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, Aida, WWWoody, JUJO, dimplesofusa

Controversial lawn decoration ignites battle within neighbourhood 2 weeks 4 days ago #3483791

• Bessie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2530
  • Honor Medal 2010
some people have nothing better to do with their lives. sad! they need to get out more. :dry:
Life's Too Short To Be Serious!!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, Aida, dimplesofusa

Controversial lawn decoration ignites battle within neighbourhood 2 weeks 4 days ago #3483795

• Eira
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3487
  • Honor Medal 2010
This sounds like a wind-up! :laugh:

If it’s true, it is pathetic.

I’m guessing this did not happen in UK - I don’t think HOAs are that common here and I don’t think we’d take kindly to an HOA having the power to dictate our taste in garden ornaments and fine us if we transgress against our neighbours’ definition of good taste - an Englishman‘s Home is castle and all that - we don’t like being told where we can stick our gnomes and frogs! :ohmy:

PS I’d like to know what Froggy has got in that jar, though - it looks like he’s catching Daddy-Long-Legs crane flies in there!
Step by step, one goes a long way.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, dimplesofusa

Last edit: by Eira.

Controversial lawn decoration ignites battle within neighbourhood 2 weeks 4 days ago #3483797

• Vienna
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1837
  • Honor Medal 2010
It's a beautiful frog!

But seriously how ridiculous.
More annoying is the fact that having already reported this major crime to the HOA, she then puts it out on social media anonymously - how courageous.

If I lived in the US would make certain that any property I buy does not come under the jurisdiction of the Homeowners Association - although i think we have a similar authority here in the UK?

Far too many dictators around ..
Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late..
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, Aida

Last edit: by Vienna.

Controversial lawn decoration ignites battle within neighbourhood 2 weeks 4 days ago #3483798

• Rips
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2414
  • Honor Medal 2010
When the only thing you have to worry about is a pottery frog you know you’re living a charmed life,
Anyway I am a proud frog owner ...
Here’s froggy.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, Keeper, Vienna

Last edit: by Rips.

Controversial lawn decoration ignites battle within neighbourhood 2 weeks 4 days ago #3483804

• Eira
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3487
  • Honor Medal 2010
Me Too!

Had to haul Freddy out from his shady spot under the Hosta leaves to photograph him:

By the way, did you say that loopy woman was posting her Anti-frog antics on Reddit or Ribbit? :laugh:
Step by step, one goes a long way.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, Rips, Vienna, MoonlitRoads63

Controversial lawn decoration ignites battle within neighbourhood 2 weeks 4 days ago #3483809

• GerryM
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 147
  • Honor Medal 2010
How i dislike HOAs. Not as a way to administer housing areas, but in how they are so political. I have to say HOA rules are shown to new owners and they agree to the rules. This must have been going on for a long while, both refusing to budge, a hearing, and then ticket. I would never live in a housing area with an HOA.

Controversial lawn decoration ignites battle within neighbourhood 2 weeks 4 days ago #3483814

• Rips
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2414
  • Honor Medal 2010

Eira wrote: Me Too!

Had to haul Freddy out from his shady spot under the Hosta leaves to photograph him:

By the way, did you say that loopy woman was posting her Anti-frog antics on Reddit or Ribbit? :laugh:

Well worth hauling Freddy out . He looks very pleased with himself.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, Keeper, Aida

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds