Speeding. ! 1 year 1 month ago #3083830

• lensman
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1488
  • Honor Medal 2010

caretaker wrote: Just a crazy idea.
Not as a punishment but as a deterrent, why not fit on the rear of every car a sign that shows the speed that the car is traveling and if you see a car doing way over the speed limit you could take a picture and post it on face book.

Probably not a good idea to take a picture ( with a mobile phone?) while driving!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Robin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Speeding. ! 1 year 1 month ago #3083835

• bobo
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 321
  • Honor Medal 2010
I use six motorways regularly between South Wales and Manchester and I have seen some cars flying past me when I am doing 70 mph, what speed they are doing I'd hate to guess. In the years I have been driving this route, I can count on one hand the times I have seen a marked Police car. Albeit there may be unmarked cars patrolling.

Give someone a 'Cwtch' today!!

Speeding. ! 1 year 1 month ago #3083837

• Morganman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Speeding penalties :)
lets say where there is 40 miles limit and you were doing 60 that is 20 miles excess
lets say you were driving a Ferrari or a car ending in "i" or any high performance car
It would be fair to impound the Ferrari and give him a Citroen 2 CV or similar for 20 months
If he was speeding in a 2 CV take the 2 CV and give him a pushbike
the length of the punishment to be equal in months to the difference in legal speed and the speed violation final reading by the police or camera there is a thought unorthodox but I can feel it in my water what it would do to the offender it might sound frivolous ...but you never know it may just work

Speeding. ! 1 year 1 month ago #3083855

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 10004
  • Honor Medal 2010

lensman wrote: A while ago it was decided that speeding was the major cause of accidents.
As a result speed cameras proliferated and traffic cops diminished.
I drive a lot of miles per year, I see very little speeding.
I do see a lot of poor and dangerous driving.
Poor lane discipline.
Use of mobiles.
Road rage.
Tailgating.
Cameras do not pick those up.

Safety camera vans now enforce mobile phone offences, as well as drivers not wearing a seat belt etc and speeding motorists.

Happy to help.

Speeding. ! 1 year 1 month ago #3083865

• lensman
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1488
  • Honor Medal 2010
I wonder when they will be able to catch the richard heads?

Speeding. ! 1 year 3 weeks ago #3088174

• JUJO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Some people are really impatient, have absolutely no respect for other drivers,they think the road belongs to them,and them alone,

Speeding. ! 1 year 3 weeks ago #3088304

• TwistNShout
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1270
  • Honor Medal 2010

JUJO wrote: Some people are really impatient, have absolutely no respect for other drivers,they think the road belongs to them,and them alone,

It isn't just in speeding that people have no respect and cause issues. I witnessed a car nearly cause a serious accident today. I followed them onto a slip road joining a dual carriageway, the car wasn't quite doing 40 mph. Looking in my mirror I could see two solid lanes of traffic doing at least 60 so slowed down anticipating that the car in front would stop and wait for a gap. No, they just carried on and pulled out without indication. Causing the traffic in the left hand lane to slam their brakes on. Meanwhile the car causing it dawdled on oblivious.

I'm sure people would have blamed speeding for the accident if cars hadn't of stopped when in fact it was driving without due attention and without any consideration of other road users.

vivamus vitae non paenitenda

Speeding. ! 1 year 3 weeks ago #3088351

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 10004
  • Honor Medal 2010

TwistNShout wrote:

JUJO wrote:
I'm sure people would have blamed speeding for the accident if cars hadn't of stopped when in fact it was driving without due attention and without any consideration of other road users.

The investigation would have shown the cause.

Happy to help.

Speeding. ! 1 year 3 weeks ago #3088378

• TwistNShout
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

TwistNShout wrote:

JUJO wrote:

The investigation would have shown the cause.

The official one would yes, presuming that there was CCTV or other evidence (like eye witness reports, which are not always trusted). I speak from experience of a couple of local accidents - local media proclaimed speeding as the cause, official reports pointed to other reasons but that is not what people remember.

My more general point was that speeding is by no means the only issue on our roads and is probably not the greatest one - poor driving generally and lack of reading the road and traffic causes a lot of issues.

Speeding. ! 1 year 3 weeks ago #3088389

• TwistNShout
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
I should say that one of my pet hates, which I'm sure I have mentioned before is people driving into and through our village (I have seen this elsewhere but obviously I drive locally more). The road through our village is a fairly normal country main road, single carriageway but decent width and national speed limit. It winds a little so there aren't many safe overtaking spots. As you approach the outskirts the limit drops to 40, then to 30 for the village itself.

I couldn't tell you how many times I get stuck behind a car driving at 30 or 40 in the national limit section, they often brake hard for every corner or if a car comes the other way. Then when they reach the limit they speed up, normally driving through the 30 section at close to 40 and some at near to 50. My simple question is why are they so stupid, are they scared on a country road and "safe" in a built up area? The good news is that our Parish Council now has a speed gun from the Police and permission to start tracking and reporting some of these people. Personally I would be happy if their licences were removed but what will happen is the Police will write to the offenders warning them.

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds