TOPIC: Really!

Really! 2 months 1 week ago #3081198

• Lexie78
  • Lexie78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 737
  • Honor Medal 2010
Lounging on my sofa this Sunday morning, munching a muffin and sipping a latte, with one ear open to a news programme,.....I was suddenly and rudely jolted into full consciousness by a news report ....that One Third of Scots (in Scotland!) are " clinically obese"! Really!:ohmy:
Now, while wandering down Union Street in Aberdeen, which I do occasionally, it has occurred to me that there seem to be a lot of people about who do not " look well"! But I did not think it was as bad as that. I think there may be trouble ahead?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Really! 2 months 1 week ago #3081199

• angelwings
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Well said received: 929
  • Honor Medal 2010

Lexie78 wrote: Lounging on my sofa this Sunday morning, munching a muffin and sipping a latte, with one ear open to a news programme,.....I was suddenly and rudely jolted into full consciousness by a news report ....that One Third of Scots (in Scotland!) are " clinically obese"! Really!:ohmy:
Now, while wandering down Union Street in Aberdeen, which I do occasionally, it has occurred to me that there seem to be a lot of people about who do not " look well"! But I did not think it was as bad as that. I think there may be trouble ahead?

There seem to be a lot more people in the whole of the UK who are clinically obese these days. :ohmy:

Last Edit: by angelwings.

Really! 2 months 1 week ago #3081201

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 351
  • Honor Medal 2010
They do like their deep fried battered Mars Bars and other such foods. Always remember back in the 70's I went into a fish and chip shop whilst on holiday and was amazed what was being fried up and sold then.

Really! 2 months 1 week ago #3081219

• Biddy
  • Away
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 200
  • Honor Medal 2010
It was bound to happen with all the fast food joints around now, plus the ready meals and cakes galore
We didn't have all the choice available today, thankfully - as most of it is just sugary junk or junk
The following user(s) said Well Said: JUJO

Really! 2 months 1 week ago #3081340

• Miesque
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 547
  • Honor Medal 2010
I think it is being inactive that piles on the pounds
The following user(s) said Well Said: photogeek

Miesque

Really! 2 months 1 week ago #3081344

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 12218
  • Honor Medal 2010
Obesity is a serious Public Health issue

Obesity is fuelling a rise in Type 2 diabetes and other conditions detrimental to health.

Happy to help.

Really! 2 months 1 week ago #3081345

• photogeek
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5800
  • Honor Medal 2010

Miesque wrote: I think it is being inactive that piles on the pounds

It's certainly a contributing factor.

Really! 2 months 1 week ago #3081544

• Lexie78
  • Lexie78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 737
  • Honor Medal 2010
Should life-style change be compulsory? After all, if it is one Third of population at the moment, will it be One half in 10 years time? Can NHS cope?
I see there is already a move in that direction with sugar tax and minimum pricing for alcohol and smoking bans. But is that enough?

Really! 2 months 1 week ago #3081702

• Ivorbigwedge
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1464
  • Honor Medal 2010

Lexie78 wrote: Should life-style change be compulsory? After all, if it is one Third of population at the moment, will it be One half in 10 years time? Can NHS cope?
I see there is already a move in that direction with sugar tax and minimum pricing for alcohol and smoking bans. But is that enough?

In a free country there is no place for compulsory life-style change.

Apart from being highly condescending and completely unenforceable it smacks of a "Nanny knows best" mentality that is becoming increasingly prevalent these days.

By all means give the public the facts but it's up to them to decide.
The following user(s) said Well Said: patty

A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy.

Never argue with an idiot......they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Really! 2 months 1 week ago #3081722

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6323

Lexie78 wrote: Lounging on my sofa this Sunday morning, munching a muffin and sipping a latte, with one ear open to a news programme,.....I was suddenly and rudely jolted into full consciousness by a news report ....that One Third of Scots (in Scotland!) are " clinically obese"! Really!:ohmy:

Doctors,nurses,medical staff,can educate patients about healthier eating,non smoking,alcohol,drugs,
A patient can get all the education,help,support,guidance,but at the end of the day,it is their own decision. Whether or not they choose to lose weight,give up smoking,cut down on alcohol,stop taking drugs.
No one can force them to do anything.

Do I believe in love at first sight?
Absolutely,
I fall in love with every cat I see.
Moderators: MikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.