Only in Britain... 7 months 2 weeks ago #3221744

• Sirfurryanimal
  • Sirfurryanimal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4081
  • Honor Medal 2010
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: habibi, Janquine, Rhett1, JennieR62, DancingByMyself, Landyman, Meeooow, Gerrylady, T65KBK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Cornish Pasty

Only in Britain... 7 months 2 weeks ago #3221757

• sciguy18
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1179
  • Honor Medal 2010
I don’t understand the top photo. Could someone please explain to a dumb American?

Only in Britain... 7 months 2 weeks ago #3221762

• Tachyon
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1649
  • Honor Medal 2010
There was a kids show, back in the day, called "The Wombles" and they were small furry humanoids that lived underground on Wimbledon Common. They collected rubbish and recycled things for their burrow. The theme song featured the lyric "Underground, overground Wombling free, the Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we..."
The following user(s) said Well Said: sciguy18, Meeooow, Gerrylady

Last edit: by Tachyon.

Only in Britain... 7 months 2 weeks ago #3221779

• Davegem
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Tachyon wrote: There was a kids show, back in the day, called "The Wombles" and they were small furry humanoids that lived underground on Wimbledon Common. They collected rubbish and recycled things for their burrow. The theme song featured the lyric "Underground, overground Wombling free, the Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we..."

Some of the Wombles are still there, on the common, forgotten by modern life. I've heard that Tomsk is now a drug addict, feeding his need by using left over needles, and poor old Madame Cholet is indeed now a madame at a near by brothel. Great uncle Bulgaria embraced Veganism and now lives in a squat in Tottenham, Orinico now weighs 300 pounds and is the subject of the TV docu "my fat lazy life", Bungo is standing for Mr Farage's new party, and last but not least, Wellington moved to Iceland and raises Lemmings for their fur.
Such is life.

Only in Britain... 7 months 2 weeks ago #3221791

• Davegem
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Davegem wrote:

Tachyon wrote: There was a kids show, back in the day, called "The Wombles" and they were small furry humanoids that lived underground on Wimbledon Common. They collected rubbish and recycled things for their burrow. The theme song featured the lyric "Underground, overground Wombling free, the Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we..."

Some of the Wombles are still there, on the common, forgotten by modern life. I've heard that Tomsk is now a drug addict, feeding his need by using left over needles, and poor old Madame Cholet is indeed now a madame at a near by brothel. Great uncle Bulgaria embraced Veganism and now lives in a squat in Tottenham, Orinico now weighs 300 pounds and is the subject of the TV docu "my fat lazy life", Bungo is standing for Mr Farage's new party, and last but not least, Wellington moved to Iceland and raises Lemmings for their fur.
Such is life.

I saw them in concert at Hemel Hempstead pavilion, back in the day. I knew then that fame would go to their heads and that they should've stuck to recycling, but would they listen to a 7 yr old fan? Still they did Glastonbury in 2011 before things fell apart.

Only in Britain... 7 months 2 weeks ago #3221914

• Sirfurryanimal
  • Sirfurryanimal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4081
  • Honor Medal 2010

sciguy18 wrote: I don’t understand the top photo. Could someone please explain to a dumb American?

The Wombles
The Wombling Song

The Cornish Pasty
Last edit: by Sirfurryanimal.

Only in Britain... 7 months 2 weeks ago #3221979

• Janquine
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2581
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thanks for the wombling video Sir Furry....a nice walk down memory lane.

And a couple more interesting signs.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Meeooow, Gerrylady

Last edit: by Janquine.

Only in Britain... 5 months 2 weeks ago #3260840

• Meeooow
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3798
  • Honor Medal 2010

Davegem wrote:

Such is life.[/quo

True... Wombles are still on Wimbledom Common, started a recycling plant I hear, all doing very well.
Can't imagine why they would be targeted by "Fake news!"

The following user(s) said Well Said: T65KBK

An eye for an eye, will only
make the whole world blind
-Mahatma Ghandi.

Only in Britain... 5 months 2 weeks ago #3260846

• Meeooow
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3798
  • Honor Medal 2010